Download Record

mb17889

Beta member
I'm not sure where this thread belongs, so I gave it my best guess.

I was wondering if it was possible to prove I didn't download something on a computer or show a record of everything I downloaded over a certain period of time. I was charged with copyright violation at my college even though I didn't. I shared a router with my roommate and he has been logged on my account, but he won't take responsibility. They have evidence that the download was made on my account with the program used (Gnutella I think). I curious as to if there is a way I can disprove that I am the one that made the download. The two computers I own are a Vista Desktop and a MacBook OSX laptop. The laptop was the one at school at the time, but I'd like to show both if possible.

Thank you for your time.

If he made the download using your computer then there's no way to prove others that you didn't do. I'm not sure if there is one, I'll get on it immediately. But just one tip, you might want to do this on his computer because if there is a log they can easily say you just deleted it to get rid of evidence. Btw, what browser do you usually use?

He did NOT do it on my computer (I'm 99% sure of that) we were on a shared router and both used my account some of the time. I almost always use Mozilla Firefox on both my laptop and desktop (my desktop doesn't matter because it wasn't there though, I was just interested).

Also, I think I heard them say it was downloaded using Gnutella, which I'm fairly sure has never been on any of my computers.

I am confused. Why does he need to use your account. does he not have an account of his own to use. I would recommend changing your pw and any other setting that you can first.

Here is one free program that you can use to do some monitoring on your internet connection. Also, do a little google searching and see what else looks interesting to you.

Cheers!

only thing you could do is ask them what time it was downloaded and if you can prrove you werent there at that time then that could be to your favor

although my colleges internet/network usage policy is if it was done using your account your the one responsible so even if i let my friend use my account and he did something illegal and i wasn't even in college that day i would still get the punishment/trouble from it so in future maybe dont let your roommate use your account

If your school has any kind of tech department, you could give them your computers and have them use un-delete software to prove that those files were never downloaded on your computer.

yes, if you hand your computers over to them you could proove that you've not had filesharing software installed anyway.

Just take the case to court, guilty until proven innocent. Their's no evidence that you were downloading. The case will be quickly dropped.

Back
Top Bottom