Connecting a Netgear hub to a Linksys hub?

ThIzZpInOy

Baseband Member
Hello,I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and i need more ports so i was wondering if someone can help me setup a Netgear DS108 Router connecting to the Linksys Router.I called Linksys but they said it was to difficult to explain over the phone and they said it would be difficult because i would need two different ip addresses (Linksys said it would be more difficult because Netgear has very very same range of ip addresses)so Please Respond!

I called Linksys but they said it was to difficult to explain over the phone

LOL, they didn't want to be bothered by helping you. Their probably thinking if you need more ports then buy a router with 8 ports instead of 4. ;) You really expected them to assist you in hooking up another manufactures product did you? It's not even their product so of course they are not going to assist you. :)

and they said it would be difficult because i would need two different ip addresses

Of course you need to different IP addresses. Otherwise they would have an IP conflict.

(Linksys said it would be more difficult because Netgear has very very same range of ip addresses)so Please Respond!

Now this last one doesnt make any sense considering you can easily change the class of IP addresses for example, linksys by default uses 192. 168.x.x (I know they because I have the same exact make and model of router as you) ;) number 2 netgear you can change the ip address range to suit your needs say 10.x.x.x?

are you trying to use them both as routers?? if thats the case you will have to create 2 separate networks.

if you want to you one as a router and one as a switch, i.e. have the routing come from the netgear and use the linksys as a switch and wireless access point then you need to change some setting in the linksys. Such as turning off DHCP and setting the ip up to be on the same network as the netgear.

help desks suck. connect them both using an ethernet cable. turn off dhcp on the non main one. enjoy. 2 min job :)

Back
Top Bottom