can i run a third router or will a switch work?

speshuled

Solid State Member
right now my house is wired for cat5 so i have a router for that and i just recently got my linksys wireless N working with it but there right now in one of the room i need an extra cat5 port.

can i run another router without having to go through all that trouble with ip address and stuff? people were telling me i can run a switch and not have to do any system configurations with it. pretty much a plug n play. is this true? can someone link me to such a device?

thanks
ed

get an ethernet cable. plug one end into each routers lan port, disable dhcp on the one without the internet?

get an ethernet cable. plug one end into each routers lan port, disable dhcp on the one without the internet?

thats all? just diable DHCP on the router that splitting the connection? by doin this i can turn anyone single cat5 port in any of my rooms into multiple ports?

thats all? just diable DHCP on the router that splitting the connection? by doin this i can turn anyone single cat5 port in any of my rooms into multiple ports?

By doing this, you are effectively turning your router into a switch.

To do this properly, you should buy a switch, not a router. But either or would work in a pinch.

just like they said above, plug an ethernet cable into a port on each router and turn off dhcp on the router without internet

yea routers are clever things. they can be used as wired or wireless (if its a wireless one) router, a switch, a wireless repeater, etc.
it really is as simple as doing that ^

Back
Top Bottom