Wireless Internet How Secure Is Your's!

CPLTD

Solid State Member
Hi Guy's,

I have been speak to many friends and neighbours regarding there wireless networks and explaining to them how important it is not to just settle with the standard settings for there security So I decided to compile a list of wireless security top tips for you all as in my area alone I found 27 easy access wireless networks.

Here are the top tips to secure your WiFi network

1. Change your router's access name and password.
2. Stop broadcasting your router's network ID.
3. Change the default network ID (SSID)
4. Turn on wireless data encryption.
5. Using MAC Adresses.
6. Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use

OK to the standard home user the above might as well be written in Japanese, but lets go through each one. You will need the router manual to complete these tasks as you will need the details of how to connect to the Router's Administration screens.

1. Change your routers's access name and password

Why change the router's access name and password? Most come with a default name and password which is the same for all router's by the manufacturer. Plus as

the WiFi router will probably have the manufacturers name in the network ID (SSID) then someone could hack into your WiFi network in seconds.

Unfortunately I can't give you exact screens to use as each router is different but usually you can change it under a security option. Once changed you will

probably need to log in again.

REMEMBER: Always make a note of the access name and password and keep it somewhere safe.

2. Stop broadcasting your routers network ID (SSID)
If this is turned on then your router is shouting out to all Wireless devices around you that it is here. This is useful for connecting devices to your network but once connected, TURN IT OFF. Again this can be completed by the router administration screens.

3. Change the default network ID (SSID)
The SSID can be accessed from within these products' Web-based or Windows-based configuration utilities. Common examples of pre-defined SSIDs are simple names like "wireless," "netgear," "linksys," or "default." An SSID can be changed at any time, as long as the change is also made on all wireless clients.

To improve the security of your home wireless network, change the SSID to a different name than the default. Here are some recommended do's and dont's, based on best network security practices:

* Don't use your name, address, birthdate, or other personal information as part of the SSID.
* Likewise, don't use any of your Windows or Internet Web site passwords.
* Don't tempt would-be intruders by using tantalizing network names like "SEXY-BOX" or "TOP-SECRET".
* Do pick an SSID that contains both letters and numbers
* Do choose a name as long or nearly as long as the maximum length allowed.
* Do consider changing your SSID every few months.

4.Turn on wireless data encryption.
OK so now I really am talking in another language. Basically if you have data encryption turned off then all data passed between your wireless device and the router is unencrypted and if someone in your area knew what to do they can read all data (credit card details etc).

WEP was the encryption scheme included with the first generation of wireless networking equipment. It was found to contain some serious flaws which make it relatively easy to crack, or break into, so it is not the best form of security for your wireless network.
WPA was later rolled out to provide significantly stronger wireless data encryption than WEP. But, in order to use WPA, all of the devices communicating on the network need to be configured for WPA. If any of the devices in the chain of communication are configured for WEP, the WPA devices will typically fall back to the lesser encryption so that all of the devices can still communicate. Refer to the owner's manual for your wireless router or access point to determine how to enable and configure encryption for your device. Once you enable encryption on your router or access point, you will need to configure your wireless network devices with the proper information to access the network.

5. Using Mac Adresses
Every wireless card adapter has its own unique code called a MAC address, Your wireless router should have a setting for adding MAC addresses to a access list to prevent any other computer accessing the network.

6. Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use
Simple, if it isn't switched on then no-one can use it.

I hope this helps

I use WEP and find it fine, I use the 128- bit version in conjunction with a decent firewall, I was only recently using the 64 -bit version but encounted problems with limited connection on certain laptops so I switched over and it fixed the bug.

Main weaknesses of WEP are:

1) The same IV (initialization vector) can be used more than once. This feature makes WEP very vulnerable, especially to collision-based attacks.

2) With IV of 24 bits, you only have about 16.7 million of possible combinations.

3) Masters keys, instead of temporary keys, are directly used.

4 Most users usually do not change their keys. This gives hackers more time to crack the encryption.

Advantages of WPA over WEP are:

1) Length of IV (initialization vector) is now 48, comparing to WEP's 24. This gives you over 500 trillion possible key combinations.

2) IV has much better protection with better encryption methods. This is prevention of reuse of IV keys.

3) Master keys are never directly used.

4) Better key management.

5) Impressive message integrity checking.

When you take all this into account, you can see that WPA is much better solution for your wireless network.

I use WEP and find it fine, I use the 128- bit version in conjunction with a decent firewall, I was only recently using the 64 -bit version but encounted problems with limited connection on certain laptops so I switched over and it fixed the bug.
Doesn't matter, with a tool called aircrack WEP networks with even the most secure keys can be hacked in seconds. You should really use WPA if your hardware supports it. Using WEP is like using Windows 2000, why would you...

im using wep atm purely because to use my spare router as a repeater it needs to be set using wep according to the guide online. theres no real risk around here so im not bothered, it would be safe leaving it unsecured. my road is littered with default ssids and unsecure networks

My wireless network is pretty secure. ;)

Me personally, I wouldn't run or use WEP. Why? Heres why, if the cipher is lame, it doesn't matter how good the passphrase is; it takes less time to do the statistical attack on WEP than to bruteforce the passphrase/key.

For 'WPA Algorithms' I'm currently using 'AES' instead of TKIP. Also, I would recommend Set your router logs to monitor all ("_incomming & outgoing_") connections. Since it wasnt mentioned on the list above.

Back
Top Bottom