Internet Keeps Disconnecting

oixo

Solid State Member
Ok so I have bought a new ethernet cable and plugged it into my router hoping that it will solve the problem. I keep having to keep plugging it in my linksys router over and over again because of internet disconnections. Does anyone know what I could do to stop this? Any specific information I need to post for anyone to solve the problem?

Yes it is. Sorry I cant respond right away I keep having to come back and forth replugging it to work and get on the net for a few minutes.

I would try shutting off the WAN connection. Then see if you keep having the problem. I would also do a drive update if you haven't in a while, just to make sure that everything was up to date.

Go to the routers manufacturers website and download the latest firmware.
Do a virus scan just to see you haven't got picked up a worm that disconnect you every 5mins something like the WIN32 WORM that effected XP a few years back

ok you will see an icon at the bottom telling you what signal you have make sure its good, try refreashing ip adress in options,network conections, and your active connection and right click the repair. also if another computer is gooing off of your wireless router you need to set your comp as first or going threough there computer for inrternet, this is VERY important to get the nternet to work properly.

Everyone is jumping too far in my opinion.

Does you router have a light that tells you if the internet is connected?

If Yes, When your connection drops is it on?

If No, does the internet on any other computer on your network go?

Everyone is jumping too far in my opinion.

Does you router have a light that tells you if the internet is connected?

If Yes, When your connection drops is it on?

If No, does the internet on any other computer on your network go?

If the light on his router goes out then that's his ISP disconnecting him for maintenance or something, it happens with Tiscali once in a while.

Actual this sounds like a simple fix, it sounds like you did not go into your router and enable "keep alive" , instead it is on demand. Go into your routers configuration page, the address will be your default gateway. Some where in the basic configuartion you will see an area at or around the bottom of the page that asks information about how you get your ip should be set to pppoe if your dsl, then under that it should say how you want to keep the connection alive.

also, try changing your DNS servers... that could be it... my internet used to go down often, but since i changed over to opendns (opendns.com), i havent had problems...

im not financially connected to opendns... im just pointing out a good experience...

Back
Top Bottom