Wireless to Wired

davidflatman

Baseband Member
I am looking for a way to change and old computer into wireless to wired switch/hub/router etc.
There will be a wireless card in the computer along with 3 or 4 wired cards; I would like the wireless single to be got form one of my existing access points then plug computers and other devices in to the wired cards as if it was a normal wired switch. how can i do this? ;)

Please do not respond if you are going to say what the point in this just, buy wireless cards. etc

So, let me see if I am understanding you correctly. You are looking to take your wireless signal from an access point, and then make your old computer in to another access point, for some of your wired computers?

You will probably want to use some version of linux. Here is a walk through for how to do it with SUSE 10.0, to create a router from an older computer. I am sure that there are some other distros that you can you.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16579.html

The only issue that I would think that you might have is taking the wireless signal and transferring it to the wired cards. But google it and I am sure that there is an answer for the as well.

Cheers, and good luck! This should make a great DIY project!

If its WinXP(pro) just connect to the wireless router(ap).Using the one that is going to be the computer router and use internet connection sharing to forward it out your hardwired nic cards.
I think ICS is done in the properties of the wireless nic in controlpanel/network

Thanks, but I really need a Linux solution as windows cant really be relied on, the other computers have to be independent of "client software" and I believe that sheering internet connection in windows need some from of client program. Furthermore the computers won't all be running windows or even a PC. But thanks for your interest :)

Back
Top Bottom