A networking inquiry

jasonbourne

Baseband Member
Discription of the problem at hand

In the spare bedroom, I have an older PC that I use to connect to the internet. My internet is a dialup connection. The older PC is interfaced with a netgear wireless router. Now I have the Dell Latitude laptop with wireless capability so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house to go on the internet so no problem there. Currently my laptop is in the living room. Next to the laptop is my newer PC that I play games on and stuff. I don't have a long enough network cable to interface the newer computer to the netgear wireless router thats in the spare bedroom and at this point, I do not want to spend the money to get a wireless card for the newer PC. So in order for me to copy files between the laptop and the newer PC is I've connected them with a single crossover network cable. Sharing files between the 2 machines (laptop and newer PC) is not a problem. The only thing I can't do is access the internet using the newer PC. Primarily why I need to have access to the internet on the newer PC is to download realtime weather data for use in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and thats it.

How do I get the newer PC to have internet access?

If you're trying to access the internet from your newer PC by hooking it up to the laptop I don't think it will work. I went to a friends house and we tried that. His computer on wireless I plugged the cable, but no internet. I think you'd have to take it to the spare bedroom and hook it up to the wireless router if it has ports for cables. Like my netgear has 4 ports for cable so I can have the wireless and the cable.

If you're trying to access the internet from your newer PC by hooking it up to the laptop I don't think it will work. I went to a friends house and we tried that. His computer on wireless I plugged the cable, but no internet. I think you'd have to take it to the spare bedroom and hook it up to the wireless router if it has ports for cables. Like my netgear has 4 ports for cable so I can have the wireless and the cable.
you need to setup ics.

on the laptop (i only know the way to do it with xp, but vista is simular if you have that?) go to network connections, right click the dial up, go to properties, then advanced, and make sure its shared. then restart all the connections and try the internet on the new pc

Back
Top Bottom