vista and xp home networking problem

gabbate3

Solid State Member
Hey guys... i have a problem..heres my situation...i have my main computer wired to my router with a printer connected to the computer... i want to set up a network in order to share this computer on my network using a wireless router that is the same one that the computer is hard wired to...my main computer is xp and my laptop that im tryin to access it on is vista....ive main a network and have them both under the same workgroup name but when i look at the network from each computer the other computer will not show up...ive tried alot so i hope some one can help me figure this out..if i didnt explain it clearly just ask..

not sure...i have a vague memory of how to do it...do i go to c prompt and type something in i havent done something like that in awhile so im not quite sure of the steps

Run the network setup wizard on both computers. That way we can make sure they are on the same workgroup, and file/printer sharing is allowed through any firewalls.

Once that is done, make sure the printer is set to be shared on the main computer. When the printer is shared, Vista's Add Printer Wizard can pick up the printer without an issue.

ive done all that but you cant see the other computer in the workgroup on the comp....and vice versa

Hey guys... i have a problem..heres my situation...i have my main computer wired to my router with a printer connected to the computer... i want to set up a network in order to share this computer on my network using a wireless router that is the same one that the computer is hard wired to...my main computer is xp and my laptop that im tryin to access it on is vista....ive main a network and have them both under the same workgroup name but when i look at the network from each computer the other computer will not show up...ive tried alot so i hope some one can help me figure this out..if i didnt explain it clearly just ask..

Couple of things you can try.
1. Make sure UPNP is enabled on your router.
2. Try to ping the other computer
Steps:
a. Go to start>run>CMD>type ipconfig
b. Jot down that IP address
c. Move to the other computer, and type Start>run>cmd>ping "ip.address.of.theothercomputer" without the quotes.
d. If it succeeds, they can see eachother on the network.
e. ensure they are on the members of the same workgroup.
Start>right click my computer>properties>computername>
do that on both computers, and make sure they both say the exact same thing, if not change them, and reboot afterwards (also change the computer name to something easy like jimmydesktop, and jimmylaptop).

Couple of things you can try.
1. Make sure UPNP is enabled on your router.
2. Try to ping the other computer
Steps:
a. Go to start>run>CMD>type ipconfig
b. Jot down that IP address
c. Move to the other computer, and type Start>run>cmd>ping "ip.address.of.theothercomputer" without the quotes.
d. If it succeeds, they can see eachother on the network.
e. ensure they are on the members of the same workgroup.
Start>right click my computer>properties>computername>
do that on both computers, and make sure they both say the exact same thing, if not change them, and reboot afterwards (also change the computer name to something easy like jimmydesktop, and jimmylaptop).

Printed this one as a reference.

Now, where do I go to in my computer to see if everything is working?

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom