Set up wireless network

toole13

In Runtime
How do I set up a wireless network so that I can share my printer with my desktop computer and laptop?

Well, if both connect to the internet off the same router, then half the battle is done.

Make sure both computers are on the same work-group. Once they are, on the host computer, you need to set the printer properites to allow the printer to be shared.

To do that, just open up the printers page of control pannel where you can see the installed printer, right-click your printer, and click properties.

Once it's shared, just run the add printer wizard (available in the control panel). You should be prompted to look for a local or net work printer. From there it's all pretty much automatic.

Yeah, I have mine set up from my downstairs printer. I use it all the time just as it were connected to my computer.

How do I set up a wireless network so that I can share my printer with my desktop computer and laptop?
To do this, you will need your desktop to act as a "server" for your laptop "client". I will refer to your desktop as a "server" and your laptop as a "client" during this thread.

1. Before we begin, we need to ensure that both your server and your client are members of the same workgroup. This will allow both machines to see eachother over the network.
A. To do this, go to Start>Right Click My Computer>Properties>Computer Name>Click "Change" next to "To Rename your computer or to join a domain".
B. Make sure that the name next to the Workgroup is the same on both machines. Some common names are "Workgroup", or "MSHOME".
C. Change the name of the computers on this screen to something easily remembered. IE: Server/Laptop/Bedroom/Den etc...
D. You will need to do this to all computer that you would like to share resources with over the network.
E. Reboot your computer.

2. Now both computers will be able to see eachother over the network. Next is to setup the Printer on your server.
A. Install the Printer onto your server just like you would in any other situation
B. Navigate to your printer and get to its sharing properties(In Windows XP-- Start>Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Right Click the Printer>Properties>Sharing)
C. Ensure that "Share this Printer" is enabled, and give it a name. Something Easy like Printer would do.

3. Now, go onto your client, we will add the printer to your client.
A. In windows XP-- Start>Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Add New Printer
B. Ensure that "A Network Printer...", is selected
C. Ensure that "Connect to this Printer" (the one that has example:\\server\printer)
D. Next to "Name" put follow this "\\SERVERNAME\PRINTERNAME"
E. Hit next

4. This will add the printer to your client, and you will be able to print from it. The server will need to be on in order for you to be able to print to it. Also, you should be running similar operating systems on both of the machines (server and client) for this to work. If you are running different operating systems you may need to add additional drivers to the server machine in order to print to it.

Well I went through all your instructions twice, colorblindjimbo, and it still searches for the printer and then tells me it can't find one...

Make sure you have a good firewall installed, because opening up Microsoft File and Printer Sharing makes some security holes. ;-(

im actually havin the same problem...ive tried a ton of things and all the troubleshoot guides...my host computer is running xp and my laptop that i would like to connect to the workgroup is running vista...im tryin to share my printer that is connect to my host computer along my network...i made the workgroup name the same on both computers but they dont seem to find eachother...any ideas or helpful tips guys...thank you

Back
Top Bottom