Pleae help me set up a home newtwork!

dark shadow

Beta member
Hello everyone. Im new here and quite new at networks. Id like to set up a server and a few work stations at my house. I really need some direction on how and what to do. Heres what I have so far. I have cable internet, a router, Two computers im currently using. One is a new model with up to date everything. Im running windows xp on everything. I have a computer I plan on using as the server as well as another one id like to use as workstation. Im working on a low budget and would like to work with what I have if I can. I would also like to use this network for folder and file sharing as well as sharing the internet. Where do I start??
-Scott

Ive searched google and found alot of stuff but I dont understand alot of it. Id like to have a network where I can remote control to other computers, share folders and access a public hard drive. Id also like to share the internet between computers.
-Scott

i wouldnt bother with server 03 if i were you. id just have one main pc which would act as the server and could just have xp home or pro on it. set file sharing up on that so all users can store files onto that computer over the network. then get a program like ultravnc, and install it on all the computers so you can control them from whatever computer you like.

i just think installing a server os is pretty pointless for this quite simple network he wants, especially when you consider hes new to networking and stuff

Back
Top Bottom