Can't delete this virus, help please!

WhereBob

In Runtime
McAfee found this trojan virus (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nnnolkj.dll) on my PC. McAfee can't delete, clean or quantine it. I tried to delete it by locating and deleting it but its a running program and will not let me delete it (used by another process thing). I have tried hijackthis with no luck. I have tried KillBox on a strait "close and delete" and a "delete on reboot" with no luck.

How can I delete this virus before in kills my PC?

Thanks
Bob

If safe mode doesn't work, you can take your hard drive out, plug it into a second computer, and delete the file from your hard drive, while on the other computer.

If safe mode doesn't work, you can take your hard drive out, plug it into a second computer, and delete the file from your hard drive, while on the other computer.

Nope safe mode didn't work this .dll still runs in safe mode and I don't have another PC that will work with my 40g hard drive. I have an old gateway running windows 98 which I don't think accepts hard drives over like 20g or so I have been told.

Any other ideas before this virus unloads on my PC

Thanks for the replys so far

No I haven't, how do I do that?

Thanks

I'm assuming this is an XP machine since that's what you have listed in your signature. So, click the Start button, select All Programs, go to the Accessories folder, then go to the System tools folder and click on System Restore. When the Sys. Restore window opens "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is selected by default. Leave that as your selection and click next. A calendar will appear with the dates of restore points in bold text. Select the date just prior to when your machine was infected and click next. Windows will restart. Click OK to close the System Restore program after your machine reboots.

This, of course, will only work if System Restore has been turned on (I believe it is by default). To check if it is, open the control panel, open the System window and click on the System Restore tab.

There is also the possibility that a virus could infect restore points but, I believe those type of infections are still rare. Remember to back up any important files that have been created after the restore point you're selecting. Anything installed or created after a restore point will be lost.

Good luck!

Try downloading AVG Free edition
make sure that its totally up to date and run a virus scan
Mcafee isnt a real good Anti Virus IMHO

No previous restore points marked in the restore calendar accept for yesturday.......

That's a bummer. Well, the only other options you have is to try AVG (as the previous post said). If that doesn't work, then you need to backup all your personal data and reinstall Windows. You may be better off reinstalling anyway since anti-viruses can sometimes leave behind "residue" (small pieces of the virus) which can still cause problems.

Make sure you have System Restore enabled from now on. It can really save your bacon.

Back
Top Bottom