I want to connect my old router to a newer one

someblackguy713

Solid State Member
Hi, right now i have a BEFW11S4 Linksys router on the main floor. and ok lemme draw a picture cuz i dunno how to explain it.
Just look at the pictures for now and then my idea.
A lot of times this router drops our connections one by one from xbox live on our 2-4 xboxs in the basement. Would this be a good idea or no? if it is how would i set up my befw11s4 router to the newer one. and if i do get a newer one, do you guys recomend a gaming router which is more stable?
Heres my configeration now (which sucks)

and heres the configeration that i kinda want, one that supports multiple xboxs easily and fast.

Thanks!

if you are planning on connecting the old and new routers by wires then its a good idea.
if you want them connected wirelessly you will have to be careful what router you buy, or even get a repeater

alright thanks, what router do u guys recomend for the main floor?
also i was planning on connecting it with a long wire to get better speeds over live.
do i have to set up my current linksys router in a certain mode for this to work?
and what does a repeater do exactly?
thanks for the reply

Seeing as you are using it wired have you considered just buying a networking hub? cheap as chips these days

You don't really want to run two routers in the same house if you can avoid it. The reason why your having problems is the BEFW11S4 is an utter peice of crap that will start dropping connections under load because it overflows it's memory :)

Purchasing a new router is a great idea, however if you want to simply split a connection downstairs, get a switch instead of using your older router.

If you use that router like you said in your picture, you will still have the same problems.

i actually found an old motorola vonage router lying around..
i disabled dhcp server on this router and connected LAN to LAN from linksys to motorola. Linksys is still on the main floor. After a buncha mumbo jumbo i got my pc to the internet!!!!! this is on the main floor though. i need to throw my 150 foot cable out my window and router it to the basement with the motorola in the basement. Should work..hopefully... if my pc did why shouldnt the xboxs?
so now i got
Linksys --> Motorola --> 2 PCs on main floor and they both can access internet!!!

so lowndsey, no need for a hub..for now.. i dont know if ill experience NAT as strict and not open on my xboxs yet.. well see bout that tomorrow, dark outside so gonna route the cables tomrorrow. Thanks for your guys help!

OOhh, so its just a really old bad router?
so u think i should get a good gaming router then a switch?
so New Gaming Router (main floor) --> switch (basement) --> 2-4 xboxs? (hardwired)

thanks..

edit**
also what good router do you guys recomend me getting for multiple xboxs? i want a good reliable and stable router.
I also baught a DLink DI-624 a while ago.. worse of a problem than linksys (baught mainly cuz of wireless G)
and this one acutally rebooted without xboxs on it like every 5 minutes!! tried upgrading firmware and everything.
then they sent me another one. -- same problem >.<
so they decided it was a bad model since its V.C so they send me a WBR-2310...
Guess What!! it came hopeless.. the 4 LAN lights just remained solid and you couldnt do ANYTHING with it.
I set up another RMA with them to exchange THAT one but after like 2 weeks i havnt gotten a box or anything. No updated status email and i tried emailing the manager and he just decided to stop emailing me back.. so im gonna try calling em soon again to see what is going on. Its a cross shipmant RMA so i should be getting my replacement first.
Spent like total of 8+ hours with em. MAN are they slow or what.

so i really didnt like my dlink experience.. but if there top of the line stuff is better.. then i may give em another shot.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom