NIC can send but not receive? HELP!!

codejammer007

Solid State Member
ok,,, i've got a cable modem and on my computer the nic will only send packets and can't receive anything... and i tried it on my laptop and it worked perfectly... then plug it back in the desktop and nothing, i'll get a ip then nothing and then just sit there doing nothing...i've tried 4 different nics in it.... disabled all firewalls... but i think it could be a virus or something... but i'm running Symantec corp. ver 10.1.6.6000.. and it is 100% up2date on everything as of yesterday cuz i downloaded the virdeffs on the laptop put it on a flash drive and transferred it over.. but then it wouldn't update in regular mode,,, it would say "your administrator has set policies against this installation" (or something close to that i can't remember fully)so i booted it in safe mode and manually extracted the package.. then overwrote the old deffs and everything all registered in savcorp.... scanned the entire computer and nothing was found.... and so i disabled everything from starting-up except what i REALLY needed, then restarted, and then the computer got to the internet and then i was like YAY!!! but then like 5 min later it died again.... i scanned everything again ad still nothing......

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

Okay, first off this is highly unlikely that a virus is causing this.

Usually when this happens, it's a connection issue. Windows only counts packets that are addressed to your computer, theirfor this is why you would see a 0 here, but with packets sent.

Usually this problem is caused by an invalid IP address, can you post the output of "ipconfig /all" here?

Network ip config status:

Physical Address: 00-16-76-44-37-c7
IP Address: 192.168.40.69
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.40.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.40.1
Lease Obtained: 12/11/2007 10:03:14 AM
Lease Expires: 12/11/2007 11:02:38 AM
DNS Server: 74.128.1.32
WINS Server:

Your "modem" is doing a bit more than being a modem, from the output of that I can also tell that your modem is acting as a router. A problem with your "modem" could very easily cause this problem, and I'd guess that it is the source of all your problems. You can phone your ISP and ask for a replacement.

One more thing that will help tell you if it's your computer, when you do not have a connection, what happens if you type "ping 127.0.0.1" in the command prompt?

EDIT: If you want some advanced help, feel free to add my AIM or MSN in my profile :)

hmm, the modem it's self can't be acting as a router because i did a net scan and got the whole isp's subnet.... (192.168.40.1-254) (computers showing up from 192.168.40.20-163... nothing is after 163) and ip #1 comes up as cisco... and when i try and access it it askes for a password... and it says it a "LinksysRV82" and ip #4 comes up with c9networks or something......

i only have 1 ethernet comming from the modem... only one port on the modem... and that had the desktop.. i have my work laptop that has a sprint card in it.... i took that out and pluged the ethernet into the laptop and it fine... but when i put it back in the desktop.. it's dead....

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)"

hmm, the modem it's self can't be acting as a router because i did a net scan and got the whole isp's subnet.... (192.168.40.1-254) (computers showing up from 192.168.40.20-163... nothing is after 163) and ip #1 comes up as cisco... and when i try and access it it askes for a password... and it says it a "LinksysRV82" and ip #4 comes up with c9networks or something......

i only have 1 ethernet comming from the modem... only one port on the modem... and that had the desktop.. i have my work laptop that has a sprint card in it.... i took that out and pluged the ethernet into the laptop and it fine... but when i put it back in the desktop.. it's dead....

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)"

Disregard what I said before, this is not your ISP's problem, but they way they are doing things shocks me :eek:

Pinging 127.0.0.1 means you are pinging your own computer. If you cannot do this, their is a problem somewhere in your computer / software. Can you try reinstalling your network card drivers?

ok, so far i tryed 4 diffrent network cards... 2x: 3com 3c905b-tx, a reltek and a d-link,,,,, nothing, samething everytime....... i even booted up in safemode w/networking and still nothing no ping to self.....

Back
Top Bottom