I can only access Internal server but cant access from Outside

MidwestComputer

In Runtime
Hi Guys
can anybody tell me the reason why I only can access my server from inside meaning (internal) but cant access it from outside source?

Sounds to me you need to enable file sharing, there will be an option in your ISP mail client somewhere allowing you to select outside access.
Go to your ISP web site and look for it there.

I'm assuming this is your configuration and what you mean by inside and outside is within the network and outside the network.

Server ---- router ---- internet

within the network you're in it's easy to access the server all you have to do is know the address assigned to your server by the router.

if you're attempting to access it outside the network (through the internet) you have to know a few things and have a few things set up. first you have to know the address assigned to you by your ISP. you can get a dyndns service that'll give you a domain name. some routers support this. in addition to knowing the ip you have to assign the router to forward traffic for a given port to a certain machine. for example if you're going to SSH into your computer (port 22) from outside the network, you need to have port 22 forwarded and pointing to the box with the SSHd server.

hopefully that clarifies some, if it's totally wrong (with the assumptions of internal and external) disregard this. btw, if you were more specific about stuff it'd be easier to diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom