Ugh...

jammer9901

Beta member
Okay... I have Windows XP on my computer. For the past week, I have been seeing blue screen on and off. Now, when I try to turn on my computer it says the hal.dll file is corrupt. I am running a live linux OS right now and am trying to replace the file. However, the drive it is on can not be modified and I can't change that via the preferences either. And idea on how to replace this .dll file without reinstalling a new os?

hal.dll is a crucial file; it is the Hardware Abstraction Layer which allows Windows to communicate with the hardware in your system. This being non-existent or corrupt is quite obviously contributing to your blue screening issues.

The reason you cannot simply replace the file is that your drive is formatted as NTFS (the Windows XP default), and NTFS employs low-level permissions which means things cannot always be modified even whilst Windows is not running (in your case, running your Linux Live CD).

I was going to suggest a simple Repair Install of Windows, but this is not always an ideal solution as it can, in some situations, be more trouble than it is worth. Here is a link I found on Google which may offer you some other things to try first: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

probs just a temp ban.
anyway seems as though you have access to linux, id backup everything you want and format, thats your best bet, and just make sure it doesnt happen again :)

wow another useful post. That's the way you keep from being banned:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've had something like this happen a long time ago but I backed up and reformatted and was fine. I'd just do that since it's easier.

EDIT: Jon, well said!

The easiest thing to do is a repair install.
Grab your recovery CD, if you've got a prebuilt system, or grab your XP cd if you've got a whitebox system.
Insert it in the drive, go through the text based portion (blue and white), and when you get to the partitioning step, just select the repair option.
Good luck, hope you fix it.

Back
Top Bottom