Wireless router to wireless router, wirelessly

LiveWire

Baseband Member
I've got both a D-Link X-Treme N router, and a SMC Barricade G (WBR14T-G [108mbps])
I want to connect the two together in a bridge, because I had the wireless cards antenna break on me (Lol ouch..)
Anyway, they are both pretty advanced routers, and they should be able to connect...
Someone help?
Googling has turned up nothing on the SMC..

Basically, yes.
But, the SMC would be going from wireless -> wired, not broadcasting another wireless network; just recieving and repeating over the LAN.

Well honestly I'm not sure how you would do it. Obviously you would need the router that is repeating to be able to recieve wireless signals. But without trying it hands on i couldnt tell you. I'd start off with google if you haven't already.

you want the one router to be the access point (transmitter) and the other to be a bridge (reciever) -> comp? am I right?
I'm not sure on that particular router and such, you'd have t look online. There are some that you can install software onto to get added functionality, i know the older linksys could (ver 3 and under). I would look around on google and see what you can find for that model.

lets get some pictures involved.

basically what you want is this

network.gif

regarding whether this is possible...
it's not possible to use an AP as a regular client, unless it's running in bridged mode.
(this link has more details)
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/09/11/wet11.html

I don't know if your APs have a bridging mode, you'll have to look at the manuals.

You need 2 Bridges not AP's. Unless newer ones can act as bridges you won't be able to do it.

The way I understand it, you are trying to use a wireless router as a wireless access point to connect to a wired LAN.

This is usually not possible or, failing that, is hard to do. You would be much better off purchasing a dedicated access point and connecting that to your network. This allows you to connect to your wired LAN wirelessly.

To achieve what you wish with regards to bridging, you should, as far as I know, be able to simply broadcast from a wireless router to a wireless access point connected to your LAN. I have never tried this myself so do not know how well it would work.

All right. As I currently have it set up, it's almost the same.
I've basically got my Laptop with built in WiFi-G connected to the X-Treme N, at 54mbps. and it's running WinXP's ICS over the network to a switch. So, its basically the same, but when I want to grab out the laptop to take to school, or work, it's not practical, because all the servers I have downstairs go down.. I was planning on setting up a PIII as a bridge, but the wireless card I bought for it (SMC - the old router) doesn't pick up the X-treme N as well as the laptop does (11-24mbps only).
And the PC I am on now only has one working PCI slot; and I have a sound card in it now. Also, this laptop is pretty old (4200RPM drive, 2.0 p4, 256m RAM) So, it takes about 5 minutes to start up. The cache overloads every 10 or 12 hours, from basic internet browsing (I have it set on something like 2000mb, 1000 overloaded too quick, 4000 is too large)
So, yeah. My desktop is better than the laptop, but the card won't work in it.
My Laptop is a router, but when I remove it, the whole network goes down.
The server I planned on using as a bridge doesn't pick up the incoming signal very well.

-- Screwed?

Back
Top Bottom