Windows XP

OutCell

Beta member
Hi,

I just got a new thinkpad T61p, it came with Vista. It is a T7700 2.4 with 4GB RAM and i just fitted a 250GB hard disk so space is not a problem.

Now i am fed up with Vista because some programs won't work on it and i want to dual boot it with XP.

My question is, Is there a big difference between XP 32bit and 64bit? Should i install 32bit or 64bit? Would the 64bit XP need special programs as well? Will it be faster or slower? What are your thoughts on 32 and 64bits?

Thanks

FIrst, you need 64-bit, so you can youse your full 4GB. Next, 32-bit mode in 64-bit OS will work at the speed of 32-bit. Just cross your finger if it works.

IMO, try the 64-bit and then make your decision, upon your experience.

64 bit might cause some driver issues. only a slim chance though.
as long as your cpu is 64 bit id go for it. there are ways to use 4gb on 32 bit but its un needed hassle

If you are not trying to run advanced programs like games etc. and are not worried about lack of driver support, then I would say try 64-bit.

Before getting 64 bit, go through your hardware and get drivers for it all. That way you know all your stuff will be compatible, and you won't find out later that some of your hardware isn't compatible with 64 bit. Same with all your programs.

Back
Top Bottom