cant connect my laptop to the router wirelessly?

kundi13

Baseband Member
the router is upstaires on its on. its connected to 1 pc and 1 laptop wirelessly no problems there. however i have another dell laptop and it has built in wireless card and it will not connect to the router wirelessly... work group and everything is same. its found the router but will not connect. how can i connect it wirelessly?

Does it detect the network? if so,Have you checked you have typed in the correct encryption key

it reconised the netgear router and when i press connect after about 1min of connecting it says do you wan to repair and it and once i repair it same thing happens just wont connect to it. i havent typed an encryption key to connect to the router....i dont think an encryption key was created for the router. encryption key? is it the one when u type the ip address of the router and it asks for your admin and password?

an encryption key is basically a password. either wep or wpa. some, if not all negears are set without one though

Have you checked that your router is broadcasting at the correct speed? If your wireless card is working at 11mbps 802.11B, and your router is not broadcasting multiple bands (802.11B,G,SuperG,N) Then that might be the problem.

If not, make sure you have the correct drivers installed for your card, and that there is no WEP or WPA password on the network.

yea we need more info, what wireless card have you got?
i doubt it would be a B one but its still possible

Well make sure the wireless card supports the encryption mode you have enabled ,
FOr instance my router has WPA 2 however my laptop wireless card dosent support that so i can use it , so check that

Then maybe change the channel cos things such as cordless phones can cause problems

Make sure the router is broadcasting a signal the laptop can pick up such as A,B,G
ANd are you using dhcp if so check all the settings for that are correct

Try and update the wireless cards drivers if possible

the routers a netgear WPN824.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

ive got 2 laptops and 1 pc. ive connected my 1st laptop and pc both wirelessly to the netgear router. ive used a usb card on the pc to connect it wirelessly to the router and the 1st laptop has a notebook card pluged in for the wireless connection, they both are working perfectly.

the 2nd laptop im having trouble. no passwords were created on the router. im using the router as an access point cos the routers upstaires in the bedroom and the 2 laptops and pc are downstaires.

Have you checked your firewall on your laptop to see if it is set to allow connecting to your routers network?

Back
Top Bottom