Bandwidth problem?

keni

Beta member
I have been with Orange Broadband for quite some time now, and a problem keeps reoccuring - my internet is very very slow (in opening webpages/ running MMORPG games - in which there are many 'lags'). I suspect my bandwidth is being restricted as i had reformatted, defragmented, and scanned my computer yet it showed no signs that my computer is not capable of handling. I had called the Orange support centre but frankly, they are useless - illiterates who know nothing about computers relying on databases. I was recommended to try a speedtest, and the figures were surprisingly low.
So, I was wondering, if anyone had any idea what the problem is from the symptoms i mentioned.

Thank you, in advance.

if it still happens after a month then it could well be line problems ( which is what i have atm :(
if you have a master socket in your house try and unscrew that, and hopefully there should be a "test socket". try using that instead of the telephone line. if that works then its internal wiring, if not then it could be a faulty router, or just the fact that orange sucks :p

You could go outside to the SNI and plug your modem into that. Thats what we used to do when i worked for qwest. Did your ISP say that you were connected at the correct speed? Anyways I would test at your SNI. If you get better speeds there than the wireing in your house sucks. If the speeds are still slow than it is your ISP's problem to fix.

Thanks,
but, I tried hunting for a master socket but cant seem to locate it (i am not very good with these things).
I will try call Orange for a line test, but the last time they did that, they 'closed' my case the next day because they expected me to be on immediately after 24hours after the initiation.
And as for the SNI, I'm not too sure what that is.
Thanks again. Any more info would be very appreciated.

Also, here's a pic of the speed test just for amusement.

Ps. Am using a 8mb unlimited download orange broadband. which gave these results
speedtest2az7.jpg

The SNI is the box most likely connected to your house. Its the point at which the phone lines from outside come inside. Hence the reason why you would want to test there. If you open it up there will be two phone jacks in there.

What kind of speeds are you paying for?

I cant really access the SNI. But I will try to anyways.
Uhm, its a 8mb unlimited broadband so.... whatever speed is expected.
(Am afraid am not very good with computers so bear with me thanks.)
I know the information am providing is kinda vague but I really dont know much more.

Thanks in advance ^^.

If you are in the UK then goto the master socket. It is the main socket where the phone line comes into the house. You can identify it because it will have a line running accross the centre of the socket. Remove the 2 screws and there is another socket behind there, thats the test socket. Connect your filter and router to that like normal and then run the test again. If the speeds increase then its internal wiring, if the speed is the same then its something outside. I reckon its probably down to orange tho, if you had been with BT broadband i could have done tests for you at work lol.:)

lol yep thats what i said.
oh and raffaz, if you ever see the director of BT then tell him he sucks. even after my line was fixed im still only getting like 15kb/s. i just hope it fixes its self :)
edit: seems to be upto 250kb/s + now that its plugged into my old voyager router, guess the homehub is broke, as its been slow for a week with that now after a day this seems to be improving.
just tell the director that homehubs suck then :)

Yeah right, il tell the director when i see him. Like that is ever gonna happen lol:)

There could be tons of reasons why your speed is slow, bit hard for me to tell without doing tests on the line and checking your line history etc.

Mmkay. Btw, My landline is with BT, if thats difference. Broadband with Orange tho. So... Linetest from both or from one? Also, if any further information is needed, please ask.
And Sorry for constantly bumping this thread in result of replying ><.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom