New guy with a question

iffy

In Runtime
Hi guys new here so please take it easy.
I have two systems in the house and one internet connection(virgin broadband). I would like to enable both systems to share the internet but i'm unsure exactly how. I have heard of two options that I can try;

1.Install two networks cards in one pc, connecting one nic to the modem and the other to the other computer connecting to the internet. Cost to set-up this method would be approximately £10

2. Using a router to achieve this task. Which would cost in the excess of £30
Curently, one system has a wireless network card and the other just an ordinary nic. Which method is easier and how would I go about achiving both methods?

Thanks

I would go for option two every time, easy to set up and you don't have any cables running round your house,also you already have a wireless network card in one computer so your good to go if you get a router, you could run one of a LAN line and one off wireless then.

yea. also with option one it would mean you would need the main pc on to access the internet on the other pc.
a router is worth it and is always handy

Wow! chears for the quick reply guys. Looks like it's option two then. Can you guys recommend a router to buy? Are routers hard to configure, I have limited knowledge with computers.

Wow! chears for the quick reply guys. Looks like it's option two then. Can you guys recommend a router to buy? Are routers hard to configure, I have limited knowledge with computers.

For the type of routers that home users will be getting the answer is no, they're not too hard to configure. If you use the Quick Start guide or manual that'll take you through the basics to get online.

I'd generally buy a router made by Belkin or Netgear, they're the best in my experience.

you need to get a wireless router so you can get online wired & wirelessly. I like Netgear and linksys.

yea i like netgear, decent signal, reliable, easy to setup, look quite sexy aswell :)

Hawking is my personal favorate. Nice and reliable, and easy to set up. Linksys and Dlink are tied for second. Dlink is easier to set up, but Linksys is a better signal.

As for set up, I always reccomend doing it manually. There really isn't much to configure. Set up a wireless name, and set up WPA and that's basically it. However, most Routers do come with a setup CD if you want to use it.

The router option also has some other advantages, such as being able to connect more pc's in the future. Also most routers have an excellent firewall built into them.

Back
Top Bottom