Which version is the best?

Ams

In Runtime
I was looking at replacing windows with linux. There are just so many choices and im not too sure which one is the best. I would like one that works well and has many features. Nothing too specific. What does 32, 64 bit mean?
Thanks

Well 32 or 64 bit depends on your processor , what are the specs of your machine and that may help us answer your question even easier but for now i am saying ubuntu is good for most people

Its my sisters machine so i dont know all of the specs
AMD Athlon 2.17 ghz, 256 mb ram, 60 gb hard drive, 15 gb hard drive, 64 mb pci video card, msi mobo i think.

Well that should handle ubuntu just fine

and i say run the 32bit version it will be just fine
Also it comes out of the box with open office , firefox and some multimedia players pre installed
ALso if you have a slow connection you can order some CD's for free and they send them to you but it takes about 5 weeks

I was just looking for a version which has alot of features and alot of customizing abilities. So would that version be the best?

it all depends on how knowledgeable you are of linux (and im assuming your a beginner because your asking this question LOL, well thats where we all start) Ubuntu is very user friendly also you could try gentoo which is verry customizable and you could also try pclinuxos Ive tried all 3 of these and they are all pretty good if u need help just pm me

gentoo would probably be the one if you are looking for customization.
If you are looking for something easy then either ubuntu (gnome) or kubuntu (kde). I like kde more, but that's just my opinion.

gentoo is hardcore, it can take literally 20 hours to set it all up because you compile it all from the ground up.

I'd also say Ubuntu if your new to Linux

Ubuntu I feel is the overall best. I have tried some other ones, but ubuntu is pretty awesome. Something I suggest when you get ubuntu installed is to search automatix. Go to their website and download automatix. Automatix allows you to download things like mplayer plugin for firefox and a whole lot of other things.

Back
Top Bottom