What's an ad-hoc network?

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I've been curious about this. When I was visiting my Aunt there was this wireless network that had a different icon than the other wireless networks and had Ad-Hoc network written somewhere in the properties while the others had Access Point there. It only gave local only access too (no internet) so I'm just tryin to educate myself (I'm on dialup) about wireless networking. Info appreciated ;)

wlanpspj0.jpg

Its basicaly when yuoo connect directly to another laptop or computer .Such as remember the zune , well when you share a song over wifi thats a mini ad hoc network when one zune connects directly to the other without servers or routers.
Its different to normal netowork with a router which is called infrastructure mode

Only thing is a wwi fi ad hoc network can only run at 8 or 11mb i cant remember the exact figure

I thought Ad Hoc network's ran at the lowest Adapter speed? Say you had a Wireless B card (11MB/s) and a Wireless G Card (54MB/s), The Ad-Hoc network would run at 11MB/s... Maybe im wrong tho :D

An ad hoc network is a network were the computers connect directly to each other without using a central accesss point.

I thought Ad Hoc network's ran at the lowest Adapter speed? Say you had a Wireless B card (11MB/s) and a Wireless G Card (54MB/s), The Ad-Hoc network would run at 11MB/s... Maybe im wrong tho :D

no its 11MB/s even if you have 54M cards in all the computers .

yep thats pretty much it. ive used them before. its quite useful. ive only managed to set one up in vista though.
im not too sure why people make them unsecured networks though but nm

If they set up internet sharing you should be able to . Basicaly you can share any of the shareable resources from the other computer , such as internet folders printers and whatnot

I dunno . i remember when i set mine up it ran 11mb but the laptop i had then was only running a B card . I read it would always be 11mb though on the internet . ALso if it is cabled like with a crossover cable it runs full 100mb

Back
Top Bottom