WEP or WPA?

Do you work for Geek squad?

Lol thankfully not. He is one of the DSL tech support people for the store I work at (we Have a DSL service). Thankfully I do more of the router programming than he does. I always do it as WPA.

Whats better WPA or WEP? celegorm why are you asking such a simple easy question that you already know the answer too. Seriously, heres my opinion WPA is way better and more secure than WEP will ever be. BTW, A little research on the two will clearly answer you're own question.

Just for the record, Me personally, I only run and use WPA2. For ALGORITHMS I only use TKIP + AES. <--important here,

WEP is a joke. If you were running WEP just be thankful I don't live close to you. Otherwise, I would personally own you're ass. Nothing against you, thats just me and the way I get down. :) If you want the most security I would run WPA2 if not, higher than that. WEP is k00l however, it doesnt take much to crack the encryption on those shitty algorithms.

BTW, I posted a reply on how to use the aircrack suite for issues like this however, one of the admins or mods deleted it and stated it was *hacker* related.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\florida hacker>cd C:\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-win\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-
win\bin

C:\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-win\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-win\bin>aircrack-ng

Aircrack-ng 0.6.1 - (C) 2006 Thomas d'Otreppe
Original work: Christophe Devine
http://www.aircrack-ng.org

usage: aircrack-ng [options] <.cap / .ivs file(s)>

Common options:

-a <amode> : force attack mode (1/WEP, 2/WPA-PSK)
-e <essid> : target selection: network identifier
-b <bssid> : target selection: access point's MAC
-p <nbcpu> : # of CPU to use (by default, all CPUs)
-q : enable quiet mode (no status output)

Static WEP cracking options:

-c : search alpha-numeric characters only
-t : search binary coded decimal chr only
-h : search the numeric key for Fritz!BOX
-d <start> : debug - specify beginning of the key
-m <maddr> : MAC address to filter usable packets
-n <nbits> : WEP key length : 64/128/152/256/512
-i <index> : WEP key index (1 to 4), default: any
-f <fudge> : bruteforce fudge factor, default: 2
-k <korek> : disable one attack method (1 to 17)
-x or -x0 : disable last keybytes bruteforce
-x1 : enable last keybyte bruteforcing (default)
-x2 : enable last two keybytes bruteforcing
-X : disable bruteforce multithreading (SMP only)
-y : experimental single bruteforce mode
-s : show ASCII version of the key

WPA-PSK cracking options:

-w <words> : path to a dictionary file

C:\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-win\aircrack-ng-0.6.1-win\bin>

Cheers, 0x0161

Lol I asked because I wanted true oppinions from people I know and trust. Google is nice, but I trust you guys more.

I wish I could do WPA2. My router supports it, but I have yet to get it to work with my wireless cards.

lol. there are programs that work well at cracking wpa but it takes much longer and more packets are needed. theres just so many more ways to crack wep and it is much quicker....

Anything can be cracked given enough time. :cool:

Lol I asked because I wanted true oppinions from people I know and trust. Google is nice, but I trust you guys more.

I wish I could do WPA2. My router supports it, but I have yet to get it to work with my wireless cards.

My desktops wireless card supports it but my laptop's dosent unfortunatly

ha. my little brother thinks geek squad is smarter than I am.
If that where my brother i would disown him so badly :D

lol. there are programs that work well at cracking wpa but it takes much longer and more packets are needed. theres just so many more ways to crack wep and it is much quicker. a lot of people only use unsecured or wep so its a hackers dream come true. especially with bt homehubs, it has wep pre applied and people dont know how to change it.
although to be fair youve gotta be unluky to have a hacker near you, but its not worth the risk

Please show us examples, nothing besides brute forcing will kill WPA.

thats what i mean ^

and about the whole wpa2 thing, my laptop supports it but my desktops usb adapter doesnt seem to. instead it sees wpa2 networks as just wpa and it still works ... so happy times :)

thats what i mean ^

and about the whole wpa2 thing, my laptop supports it but my desktops usb adapter doesnt seem to. instead it sees wpa2 networks as just wpa and it still works ... so happy times :)

hmmm. wat does dj chris mean by brute force?

i cant really find a good definition of it but this is ok:

The Brute Force Algorithm

The word "algorithm" tends to sound rather imposing. Creating a program that will guess every possible password might sound like quite a chore. In reality, the brute force algorithm is deceptively simple! There are several variations that can be used, but all rely on the same basic premise.

Here is one possible pattern: a,b,c,d,...,aa,ba,ca,da,...,aaa,baa,caa,...

This patter will continue through all the possible iterations until a maximum length is reached. This may look like a complex series of nested loops, but the beauty of it is, it's an algorithm you probably learned in kindergarten! Think of how you learned to write numbers. You go 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 and then add a new character and reset the original. Then you increment the second character each time the first one cycles through. Then, once all possible iterations are completed on these two characters, a third is added, and so on.

For the character pattern above, a similar process is used. The difference is, this one will add new characters to the right and will use more characters than just the ten digits (both of those differences were chosen arbitrarily and may be adapted to each individual situation). As the last possible character is chosen for a particular position, the character to the right is incremented up. When the last character needs incremented up, a new character must be added to the end.

Back
Top Bottom