Resetting Folder/File Permissions on a Network Harddrive?

silentak1

Beta member
Hello,

I have a big problem. We use to use a computer (named "Fileserver") to share and access files within a few computers, but XP only allowed a max of 10 connections. So then I bought a Simpletech 250gb network drive (FAT32, Y:) and plugged it into the router. I transferred all the files into that network drive and disabled the "Fileserver" access. Now, during this transfer process Windows XP Pro wouldn't let me transfer from folders; it gave me an error of "Can't copy or move".

I played with the permissions to give Admins and Everyone full control, but Windows still wouldn't allow me to transfer folders. The funny thing is that I could transfer files inside that folder, but I couldn't transfer the entire folder at once. Get it? And so I did it that way, and now whenever people try to access THOSE files, they have denied access. The rest of the files are fully accessible.

For example, in MS Word 07 they get this error:
"The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document."

How can I reset the folder/file permissions on a network drive so all the files are accesible? Or is there a better solution? I've tried the subinacl.exe file, but it only changes permissions on the computer that I'm running it and not on the network drive (Y:).

Really need help with this!!!!!! Thank you in advanced for your help!

silentak1

A couple things probably need to be done. On the security tab there is an advance button at the bottom. From there add your name with full control and make sure there is a checkmark in replace permission on child folders and then click apply. All the file from that folder and bellow show have your permission added to it.

a Fat32 drive does not have file/folder permissions. There are no permissions to be reset on the network drive. If any permissions need to be reset, then they will be done through the XP machine. By the sounds of the errors, you may want to make sure that the connection is good and everything. It could also be a currupt file or something, not permissions. Just a suggestion :)

All I can say is convert to NTFS by opening the 'command prompt' and typing:

Convert D: /fs:ntfs (if D was the drive, for example)

and use NTFS for folder and file level security, not FAT32. Any particular reason why you re using FAT32 for a file system? Just curious. ;)

cheers,
0x0161

Back
Top Bottom