Older windows 98 Computer!

spedboy1

Beta member
I got a older windows 98 computer, i got a bunch of old ram and v cards, so i put 170mb ram in it and a Nvedia Graphics card, and installed the drivers, but the computer is still etremly slow, would it help it if i started windows fresh, i have to windows 98 boot disk, doesnt that start you fresh? Also it hasent been defrageged in 2000 days, lol ya big, but everythime i defrag it just goes to 1% and then back to 0 for days, any suggesteds would help!

How fast is the processor? (Or what type),Also How many startup programs have you got running?

Also,To do a fresh install you need a Windows 98 Setup disc,the boot discs are just for if your computer fails to boot they have tools on them to fix the PC.

depending on what the other specs are id put 2k or xp on. would need to be tweaked a bit but it could run quite nicely.
much better than messing about with this copy of 98 which seems to have some crap on

yh id put xp on it.

my min spec for xp is 256 Mb RAM and a p3 1000 Mhz processor.

if your are a little off these specs then dont worry like 170MB RAM will be fine

I would suggest putting Damn Small Linux on it and then install e17. Your computer will be fast as lightening.

Yeah depending on other specs . The min spec for xp is 266mhz and 128Mb ram but i would say it runs bearable on a min of 500mhz+ and 192Mb+ your 170mb should cut it depending on the cpu . Or if you dont want that i would say windows 2000 runs on 400mhz+ and 128+ . either one of them would be better and more secure than windows 98 .
If you dont want to pay or steal software though i say you could also use linux .And depending on the cpu i think slax linux or damm small linux would be great for that machine . And you can still do most f the general stuff you do in windows

nah muz its 64mb ram. a lot of people get this wrong for some unknown reason

"•

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
•

1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
•

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
•

CD-ROM or DVD drive
•

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device"

Back
Top Bottom