Windows wouldnt start up

PopcornKiller

Baseband Member
I just got new cpu and motherboard and graphic card, i installed everything correctly (i think) and i installed fresh copy of windows, formatted hdd and everything, it goes to all the set up and right when it starts up for first time with windows xp logo, it just freezes, the little progress bar doesnt move. i have use this same copy many many times, so i know it works.
do i need vista for dual core processors?

Could you list your computers specifications? That would make troubleshooting easier.

You do not need Vista for a dual core processor FYI.

XP has no problems running dual core processors.

If your computer is getting to the boot up part of the install, then its possibly a hardware related issue. Double check all your connections including fans etc. Check that your devices are supported in the windows catalogue on MS site. You could also do a clean install with the bare minimum installed in the system and then once XP is running you can add the extra hardware then.

Can you give details of what your upgrades are? Is it possible that your current PSU isnt upto the job of powering your new components?

I have MD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX, ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard, and 2GB (2X1GB) PNY DDR2 Memory, PNY 8500 GT PCI-E Graphic Card, 1 SATA HDD. My PSU is Antec 430W, I have connected the 24 pin plus atx plug into the motherboard. It just gets stuck on windows xp logo, even in safe mode. I have installed XP about 5 times, formatted and re-installed it. Still the same problem. I can access the BIOS and the BIOS has everything there, like the cpu, memory, fans, hdd, and cd-roms correctly.

Well your GPU requires 350W to power it, so thats only leaving 80W for everything else in your system, so that could be the problem. Has your mobo got onboard graphics? If it has then try doing a clean install with the GPU removed and see if it works then. Once XP is installed, then fit the GPU again and see what happens.

My mobo does not have onboard graphics...i guess i'll get bigger psu and see if it works. I thought it would be the psu, but i thought if it starts up it fine. But guess not :(

The graphic card does not connect to 6pin pci-e plug, it just plugs in to the mobo, no extra power plug, and it still takes 350W?

Have you got the PCI-E card connected to the blue slot on the mobo? Have you also got the 4 pin power connector attached to the mobo?

yup, the PCI-E is in the blue slot, and the 4ping ATX plug is connected, I also get the green like on my mobo when i turn the PSU switch on

Back
Top Bottom