Basic Networking

WillTech105

Beta member
I have a question regarding not basic networking of a company. I know the whole server -- patch panel -- workstation relationship, but is there any good sources out there for what happens behind the server (connection via T1 lines, ISDN, connection to other company locations, ect). Thanks in advanced!

I know the whole server -- patch panel -- workstation relationship, but is there any good sources out there for what happens behind the server (connection via T1 lines, ISDN, connection to other company locations, ect). Thanks in advanced!

So this is an inside job I would *assume*? ;) Only joking. To me it sounds like you already know the *network architecture* if so, this is a great advantage for you. To get the information you want/need YOU NEED TO HAVE ACCESS TO THE SERVER ROOM. BTW, Do you have access to the server room? If so, install malicious code on the server(s) and then share them out with the clients. Then own their network. LOL Again, only joking.

What type of enviroment is this? Retail, Business, call center, small mom and pops shop? How many computers are in the facility? Reason I ask, if theirs only 2 or 3 workstations well they wont have T1 thats for sure. If it's in a call center then they will probably have several T1 lines in the building. To get the answers *you* want *WE* need more information. BTW, this company could have outside sources (3rd party vendors) monitoring/watching their networks. So just watch yourself.

^
Haha I see you know a something bout how this works. We have about 700,800 workstations tied to an main central Active Directory Win 2003 server. Of course we have other servers like Internet Access, an Exchange server, network database server, ect.

From what I know we have in our main server room at least one T1 and an ISDN line (as backup as far as I know). I would just like the know the basic/most common layout companies use to setup their lines. And yes, we do have a third party providing us these lines and monitor them for us (of course if something goes off line we instantly call them and see whats up). But as a mere pc tech I dont exactly have the priority when it comes to teaching me about how the server room works (funny since i DO have the passcode for the room).

^
Haha I see you know a something bout how this works. We have about 700,800 workstations tied to an main central Active Directory Win 2003 server. Of course we have other servers like Internet Access, an Exchange server, network database server, ect.

From what I know we have in our main server room at least one T1 and an ISDN line (as backup as far as I know). I would just like the know the basic/most common layout companies use to setup their lines. And yes, we do have a third party providing us these lines and monitor them for us (of course if something goes off line we instantly call them and see whats up). But as a mere pc tech I dont exactly have the priority when it comes to teaching me about how the server room works (funny since i DO have the passcode for the room).

Eh same kinda situation as me. If you got that many PC's, you likely have gigabit ethernet connection to the internet or something similar.

From what I know we have in our main server room at least one T1 and an ISDN line (as backup as far as I know). I would just like the know the basic/most common layout companies use to setup their lines.

I'll be honest I work in IT not in the cabling division. So I don't want to tell you wrong. However, I do know a lot of companies hire 3RD party vendors (cabling contractors) who specialize in the (cabling Divison) cabling divison are the people who install all the cabling for voice, data, video and fiber optics etc....

But my guess is if you have that many workstations, you can bet they are probably running a few T1 lines, maybe even a T3 and certainly a DS3 <--- I would assume this one. Since their are so many workstations. Also, they are probably on a OC3 or OC12 pipe hell maybe even higher, due to the high network traffic volume.

Haha you should know how these things work for that stuff -- trying to find the low cost way to doing things...even if it is super slow.

But that is what I mean, all those pipes, circuit, lines, DC3,T1,T2,T3, ISND lines and how they are commonly connection to a common server room and how they interact. Since I only know one side of the server story I would like to know how the other end works (when the other techs talk about it I'm sometimes sitting there clueless)

Back
Top Bottom