ADSL only can hook up to one computer?

Why does Earthlink want me to order a family networking thing so I can use two computers on the internet?

Yes, buy by putting your own router on it, they do not see more than one computer connected the the internet as only one device has a strait connection to the internet (the router) They want to charge you because it's their equipment you are using. They cannot limit you to only their stuff, or even charge you more for hooking up a router if you go and buy your own. Broadband is meant for sharing within a building.

They cannot limit you to only their stuff, or even charge you more for hooking up a router if you go and buy your own.

Ahaha, with modern technology they can.

They can use propertiary authentication protocols, or TCP/IP fingerprinting.

They cannot limit you to only their stuff, or even charge you more for hooking up a router if you go and buy your own.

celegorm is correct on this.

Ahaha, with modern technology they can.

They can use propertiary authentication protocols, or TCP/IP fingerprinting

However, Mr. DJ-CHRIS you're wrong. A consumer can use their own hardware for example, a 'router' in this case, and their ISP will not charge you more on your monthly bill because you purchased a router from a store instead of your actual internet service provider.

Now, if you need technical assistance with your new router some ISP's will provide as little as technical support as possible, while some will tell you call the vendor of the router for assistance with it.

They can use propertiary authentication protocols, or TCP/IP fingerprinting.

IM curious ;) What *propertiary* authentication protocols can they use to verify this? ;) Also, -->you state they use TCP/IP fingerprinting<-- funny considering each operating system's 'TCP/IP stack' responds differently given the same situation in a TCP/IP conversation. ;)

Funny I worked for Sony, & Bellsouth (Dial up, ISDN 64k & 128k, AND ADSL), in the past I never heard or seen anything even remotely close to anything like that. Teir 1 to Tier 3 technical support never heard of it. Nor has any of the 3rd party vendors (outside sources) who *watch/monitors our networks,* hell not even the NOC department (network Operations Center) has heard of anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom