Quesstion about switches

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
OK, I'm thinking of adding a switch in my room so I can have more than just my computer connected to the net through hardwire in my room. I believe I know what to do, but I want to run it past you guys.

I just take a normal Cat5 line from my router, and plug it into switch port #1 (or can it be any port #?) then the rest of the ports are output?

Also (this may be a noob question) but would I see any benefit from plugging the switch to the router twice, or would that just be a waste of cable?

Depends on the switch, but you should be able to plug it into any of the ports.

I doubt the switch would be able to take advantage of dual connections, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, I'm thinking of adding a switch in my room so I can have more than just my computer connected to the net through hardwire in my room. I believe I know what to do, but I want to run it past you guys.

I just take a normal Cat5 line from my router, and plug it into switch port #1 (or can it be any port #?) then the rest of the ports are output?

Also (this may be a noob question) but would I see any benefit from plugging the switch to the router twice, or would that just be a waste of cable?

Two cables going from router to switch would kill any standard network, no computer would be able to access any other computer or internet. Quite fun. This is unless you have a high end managed switch that prevents these, or are using VLAN's.

Back
Top Bottom