Router dropping connection

charlesj

Solid State Member
Hello all.....first time I've asked a question. Well I'm on dial up which is slow. I was told a various computer stores that having dial up that I can't have wireless. They were wrong....Someone where I live which is on a small island told me what to get & hooked it up for me. So I have a Netgear router with a US Robotics modem.......works fine for most of the time but sometimes it drops the connection. I have to unplug both the router & modem, plug them back in & it will work. Some days it goes all day without disconnecting & some it has to be restarted 3 or 4 times. Have any ideas why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated......

It could be something to do with your main telephone line it maybe that you need your line signal boosted, ring your phone supplier and ask them to test your line.

I was told a various computer stores that having dial up that I can't have wireless. They were wrong....Someone where I live which is on a small island told me what to get & hooked it up for me. So I have a Netgear router with a US Robotics modem.......works fine for most of the time but sometimes it drops the connection.

Umm, is this an external US ROBOTICS dial up modem? Or a broadband modem? Also, In order to have wireless you need a broadband connection like (ADSL or Cable etc).. not dial up.

What you need to do is make the phone line is plugged into the modem then straight to the line jack. "ISOLATE THE ROUTER"!

Then try to reconnect using dial up. Also, you can modem commands to fix the problem for 'frequent disconnects'.

Cheers

Umm, is this an external US ROBOTICS dial up modem? Or a broadband modem? Also, In order to have wireless you need a broadband connection like (ADSL or Cable etc).. not dial up.

What you need to do is make the phone line is plugged into the modem then straight to the line jack. "ISOLATE THE ROUTER"!

Then try to reconnect using dial up. Also, you can modem commands to fix the problem for 'frequent disconnects'.

Cheers

Thanks for the input....It's a external dial up modem.I beg to differ on the broadband connection. Wireless work fine most of the time on dial up but like I said it drops the connection once in a while.....

Thanks for the input....It's a external dial up modem.I beg to differ on the broadband connection. Wireless work fine most of the time on dial up but like I said it drops the connection once in a while.....

Wireless on dial up? I dont think so. SO IM curious how do you this setup?

[external modem] -- to [wireless router] ---out to [PCS]?

I dont think wireless routers have an RJ11 port(telephone jack) IM pretty sure they come with an RJ-45 port (for CAT5) .

Perhaps setup like

PC --- EXTERNAL MODEM ---WIRELESS ROUTER?

im curious whats the fastest you ever connected using dial up?

OK.....It is wireless....Phone line into back of modem then kinda a larger cable goes from modem to the router. The router is a netgear model #FWG114p I don't know where to see at what speed it connects......Let me know where I find that out at.......Even the guy at the internet company I use never heard of it either......It does work.....

OK.....It is wireless....Phone line into back of modem then kinda a larger cable goes from modem to the router.

The only thing larger than an a RJ11 which is a telephonecable is a RJ-45 <--network cable (cat5)

Combination Router, Switch, Print Server, Wireless Access Point, and Firewall Connects to the Internet with Cable, DSL, ISDN or analog modem

wow pretty neat I just never heard of it before until now.

yea im quite impressed, i didnt think this would work or if it did it would be real slow. to find out the speed your connected at to the router just click on the wireless icon in the taskbar, or to find the internet speed go into the router properties and look for something to do with the line speed. on netgears its usually on the homepage in the middle somewhere

Back
Top Bottom