bt home hub wireless connection problems

deanos63

Baseband Member
hi all,

i have linksys wireless card on my PC and a bt home hub.

I have installed everything without using the bthomehub cd, i am using windows to manage my wireless connection rather then the bt cd, because i wanted to keep it simple.

the problem i am having is that every time i switch my pc off then back onmy wireless adapter seems to beable to hook up to the homehub, but when i go on to the internet it says cannot access this page etc etc, basically it won't connect to the internet. i have to play around with the settings right clicking and going into properties and just basically trying randon settings until it works.

what am i doing wrong? how can i get the internet toconnect automatically when i turn on my pc?

any help will be great

thanks

think i have sorted (I THINK) i put a tick in the enable IEEE 802.1x box under the authentication TAB in wireless network properties and unchecked the other boxes.

for some reason it seems to connect when i restrt my PC, not sure why it works now?

think i spoke too soon, it disconnected and i was back to clcking random boxes until it finally kicked back in to life.

i have WZC selected to auto, i think this is correct.

any ideas?

ok i think i figured it out by pure luck. (2nd time lucky) so i will post my findings for anyone else that may have a similar problem.

I also have a wireless laptop, which was having the same problem, but today it seems to have fixed itself and connects every time on reboot, so my logical way of fixing my PC was to mirror all the settings of the laptop.

1) Got rid of any crap to do with BT and didn't bother using the CD, use windows xp to manage the wireless network, and make sure that the WCZ is enabled.

2) open wireless connection properties and generals tab, scroll down to internet protocol (TCP/IP) click properties.

3) make sure everything is set to auto.

4) General Tab click advanced

5) go to the options TAB and click on properties, make sure the "enable TCP/IP filtering (all adapters)" is UNCHECKED! This was the only difference between the laptop and the PC, the laptop being unchecked and the PC was checked, unchecked the box, restart, and my PC connected automatically with no problems.

Hopefully that is the end of that.

turned my pc on this morning and guess what? didn't connect.

When i try to sign in to MSN i hit troubleshoot and it checks my connection and it seems to have a problem getting passed default gateway. does this mean anything to anyone?

could it be windows firewall maybe?

then i click repair, and it comesup with the limited connectivity then all of a sudden it connects fully and i can get onto the internet!?

It could be the firewall. Try disabling it and see what happens.

have you tried new drivers for your wireless card?

disabled the firewall same thing.

my girlfriend has a laptop with a linksys wireless adapter, and that seems to be fine now connected straight away on boot up this morning.

the thing is once it is connected its connected all day it won't ever drop. Something tells me it is having trouble with the default gateway, but this is an area i'm not to sure about?

if i hit repair sometimes it does nothing, it stops at disabling the connection and i have to reboot.

Back
Top Bottom