Sound help with xp sp2

turbohatch

Solid State Member
i've been running sp1 for ever since i've heard nothing but bad about sp2. well today, since i recently reformatted, i was downloading all the updates and decided to upgrade to sp2 since its been 3 years and MS has had more than enough time to fix problems i've heard about. well immediately after installing it i have no sound. WMP gives me this error message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

in sounds and audio devices properties,next to the speaker, it says No Audio Device. i've gone to device manager and there are no conflicts and it says my soundcard , an outdated c-media product, is working properly. i've removed the card and it doesnt even recognize my onboard audio. any help would be very appreciated since its quite boring playing games with no sound.

With your other card put back in, try re-installing drivers for the card.

For your on-board sound, that is probably disabled in BIOS to prevent conflicts.

With your other card put back in, try re-installing drivers for the card.

For your on-board sound, that is probably disabled in BIOS to prevent conflicts.

ive tried re-installing drivers but with no avail. how do i get to my BIOS?

It's accessed by tapping F1, F2, Esc or Delete during boot up. It's different per board, so I can't tell you for sure, but it will be one of those.

i've been running sp1 for ever since i've heard nothing but bad about sp2. well today, since i recently reformatted, i was downloading all the updates and decided to upgrade to sp2 since its been 3 years and MS has had more than enough time to fix problems i've heard about. well immediately after installing it i have no sound. WMP gives me this error message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

in sounds and audio devices properties,next to the speaker, it says No Audio Device. i've gone to device manager and there are no conflicts and it says my soundcard , an outdated c-media product, is working properly. i've removed the card and it doesnt even recognize my onboard audio. any help would be very appreciated since its quite boring playing games with no sound.

umm couple of things ?

i when SP2 came it i hear nothing but good things with the built in firewall and added features.

also i dont know y thats doing that coz SP2 doesnt replace the driver.cab so it shouldnt effect anything you dont need diff drivers for SP1 and SP2 they should be exactly the same so. i owuld say your problem is not drivers

umm couple of things ?

i when SP2 came it i hear nothing but good things with the built in firewall and added features.

also i dont know y thats doing that coz SP2 doesnt replace the driver.cab so it shouldnt effect anything you dont need diff drivers for SP1 and SP2 they should be exactly the same so. i owuld say your problem is not drivers
i just bought a new sound card in hopes of fixing the problem but still nothing. the frustrating thing is, is that i get a new hardware notification and in the taskbar it says that it installed hardware succesfully but when i go to sound and audio devices properties it says No Audio Device. maybe my 6 year old dell finally took a sh*t? i tried switching pci slots and it doesnt do anything.:mad:

alright so i found a yellow "!" next to the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator, i went to troubleshoot and uninstalled it because thats what help suggested. well now i cant find it in the add hardware wizard. should i try downloading it from an external source? also on shutdown a window pops up that says Can not run dwwin i cant read the message because it only pops up as im shutting down so i cant tell if its a .dll or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom