If i redesign the look of Linux will it become a separate distribution?

I Suppose so,But i wouldnt even bother....If you Version of linux just looks differnt to another but has the same features....i would download the original lol

he said he wants to change the features aswell. id personally go for it but if you are really worried that its not allowed then get onto the ubuntu site and contact them

yes you can. It's open source so it means that you can and are allowed to edit anything you want to. Also releasing it to other people shouldn't cause any problems, since there are no copyrights. (at least I don't think there is)

But as already said it would probably be best to contact people behind the distro you are going to build your own distro on top of. And also you might want to ask them if they want you to mention that you used some of their stuff in the distro. (not that it would matter so much, but I believe they deserve some credit since they designed the thing you have based you distro on)

Right thanks for reading, if i redesign a Linux distribution i.e change flash screen, colours, etc. will it become a separate distribution that i could then offer to the public?

Well this is tricky. If you use a different GUI from standard such as blackbox, fluxbox as the GUI vs gnomer or kde it doesn't change the distro. It's still the original distro running different software. Also tweaking / configuring or modding it or just changing the general appearance from default wouldn't be making your own distro. You technically could call it yours though.

If you change something like the kernel or anything standard with the distro, you technically could say it's a "new" distro or different distro, or you could simply call it that distro with a different kernel or modded.

For example you could take a shoe and color it red and call it your work (most of the work was already done for you but it's still your work) and call it "The Red Shoe" or a pair of Nikes colored red. Or you could use different shoe strings that stay tied better or that aren't as stiff. It's really up to you if you decide it's a new distro or not.

It's personally up to you to decide, but I'd just say it's a shoe, like I'd say it's linux.

Back
Top Bottom