ICS: Between Windows and Linux

Windex1

In Runtime
I was reading this page: http://www.linuxweblog.com/xp-internet-connection-sharing.

It told me I could connect a Windows XP computer and Linux computer, but I would eventually need to find out the DNS settings. However, it also metioned that if my Windows XP computer has two network cards, I don't need to deal with the DNS setting by my ISP.

I was wondering how this could all apply if I use my netgear wireless USB adapter (to connect to the Internet) and ethernet card (to connect a cord to my other computer) as two network cards. Would this be possible?

That page has a severely outdated and stupid way of doing things. It's FAR easier to just run a cable (or wifi card) to your linux box from your router.

Alright. I recently read some material about ethernet cards. It seems many new cards have a cross-over feature already embedded into their design. Thus, I don't need a crossover cable.

The reason I'm not using wifi at the moment, is because I need to setup wifi on the other computer. I'll eventually get to that, but when I was playing with Fedora Core 4 a long time ago, I wasn't able to setup the wireless card so easily: broadcom chipset...

I want to use the Internet connection from my XP box on my laptop to say the least. I have a netgear wireless adapter, so that shouldn't be as difficult to setup; but to say the least, I still want to do the internet sharing.

I figure I just need to know the commands. I can't find a webpage with commands. I plan on using Kubuntu, but I figure there's more to this stuff, such as knowing if what I'm going to do is possible.

Hmm, well nevermind. It seems Kubuntu has advanced in terms of wireless adapters. I'm currently using the netgear, and it seem to be very much plug and play. I don't think I will worry about the ICS for the moment, but knowing that the netgear is plug and play will make things much easier to tweak and hack.

Back
Top Bottom