Linux Compatability?

BrianBear

Beta member
I have been a windows user for as long as I have been a computer user. Lately I have been getting sick of the way Microsoft plays the market. I'm interested in seeing where I can go with Linux but hesitant because of the incomparability with most programs built to work with windows. So my question is directed at Linux users: are compatibility issues a major problem? Can Linux "play" windows to support it's programs or can it only support the programs that create specific Linux clients?

yeo uite simplyyou can still use it for word processing and basically office functions as you can use open office on linux , and if you look there are loads of programs for linux , the only drawback i can see is gaming but then again that is only a drawback if you game .

the only thing with linux is remember it is free so it aint all gonna be 100% perfect but for free it is a very good os and i would recomend it as a good alternative to windows , the distro that i find best is either ubuntu or kubuntu

I run RedHat 9, on an old P2 333MHZ, 256mb of ram, on a 8 gb hdd. Works good regardless of the specs. Anyways, their are a lot of neat tools for Linux that are not made for Windows. What are you going to be using Linux as a? Desktop, workstation, server, custom etc...

If your a gamer like mentioned above it. Or even the artist type. If you're the artist type, then best one for you would be a MAC not a Linux distro or even Windows.

;)

well if you can't get some program working which you used in windows it is very likely that there is an alternative program designed for linux.
Overall you shouldn't have many problems, and if you do just ask for help and you will probably get the problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom