Password a network directory?

danagol1990

Baseband Member
Hello, my name is dan,
I currently have a small 4 computer network going on, and is running very welll i am glad to say.
However i wish to make it so that i can access my documents from any computer.
I know i could just share them, but then everyone has access to them, and i also have looked in loads of options in advanced sharing (im running xp pro, sp2) however i can get no sense from this what so ever.

Any help is well appreciated, dan

you need to remove the everyone group from the sharing, and then setup your account to full access, if your an admin then it should be done. Once everyone group is removed then that stops everyone sharing them (pretty obvious lol):)

ive been curious about this but have never been arsed to try. what do you mean by the everyone group?

ive been curious about this but have never been arsed to try. what do you mean by the everyone group?
If you goto the properties of a shared folder etc, there is a permisions tab in the sharing section, everyone group is in there, so you need to remove that and then add yourself, this stops every user reading your stuff etc.

i dont see that. if i remember correctly you need to do this in safe mode as it unlocks another menu. i had to do it once when i had to regain a folder.
edit: i also remember that you only need to go into safe mode if you are running any xp ver apart from xp pro

If you have xp home then you cant do it as you only have simple file sharing, so going into safe mode wont make any difference.

oh ok. i have media centre :p ... i know that there is a permissions thing in safe mode for sure as ive used it but thats obviously no good. nm. its not a biggie for me anyway. its not even my thread :p

you need to control access to files and folders by using permissions

Windows XP has 5 built in accounts, (not groups) huge difference.

1.admin

2.guest

3.user (you)

4.helpassistant

5.support_xxxxxxxxx

I don't know if I would recommend removing the 'everyone group' from your windows XP. However, I would recommend having permissions set on the computer. The 'everyone group' includes ALL users who have been on the computer. Also, if your computer is part of a *domain all users within the domain aswell*. I will say there a few groups within the xp OS thats for sure.

if i remember correctly you need to do this in safe mode as it unlocks another menu. i had to do it once when i had to regain a folder.
edit: i also remember that you only need to go into safe mode if you are running any xp ver apart from xp pro

If you're running xp PRO then go into the admin tools, computer management, go to local users and groups, double click folder in right hand pane to see list of users and/or groups. Also, right click on Users or groups to access the properties and set your options in there.

Cheers, 0X0161

hhm ok then, i shall be sure to check out what all of you have said and try it out tonight!
I shall get back!

you also may need to disable simple file sharing in Xp. Just click Tools... folder options... and uncheck the simple file sharing box. That will allow you to change permissions on folders. :)

Back
Top Bottom