XP Pro Repeatedly Crashing when Streaming Online Video

JacksOrBetter

Solid State Member
Hope someone out there can help...

My motherboard and CPU recently died, but after replacing them, my computer has started repeatedly crashing when I've been streaming online video such as those on youtube.com. Accordingly, I'm fairly sure, as Microsoft Technical Centre keeps telling me, that its a driver fault, but I can't find what's causing it, despite updating/rolling back/reinstalling my ethernet, graphics/audio drivers.

If someone could give me any advice, or provide a solution, it would be most appreciated, as this problem is tainting my otherwise excellent machine. Its not overclocked, so whether the problem is software or hardware based, I can't be sure.

System

AMD FX-62
Abit KN9 Sli Motherboard
2Gb Corsair XMS RAM
XFX 7900GT Graphics

All advice/solutions please

have you got the latest flash player? also try updating your video card drivers just to be sure

Yeah, I've updated flash. Updating the graphics drivers was an interesting one... when installing the one I downloaded from the XFX website, it claimed it was older than the current driver (not sure how... I bought the card just under a year ago). None-the-less, I installed it, and the whole system went mental, and stopped recognising the card. I installed the same driver from the site again, and everything went back to normal.

I was hopeful that, because of those problems, it was a faulty video card driver. However, not long later, when using my web-camera, I got the blue screen of death. Again.

Next plan is, when I get back from uni, to do a complete reinstall of XP. Its possible that, since I just booted straight from the HDD after replacing my motherboard and processor, the OS is somewhat confused as to what I'm actually running.

the os shouldnt be confused. it should either work fine or ask you to reactivate. try and roll back the video card drivers to the older working ones for now just to see if it works

Try starting from scratch, uninstall your graphics card drivers, install the one that you got with your new card, goto window update and see if you need any critical or hardware updates and install them if required.
See how it runs now, if its still playing up you could contact the graphics card manufacturer and ask there advice, worst scenario take your grhics card back and try a different or replacement one.

I'm fairly sure, as Microsoft Technical Centre keeps telling me, that its a driver fault, but I can't find what's causing it, despite updating/rolling back/reinstalling my ethernet, graphics/audio drivers.

If someone could give me any advice, or provide a solution, it would be most appreciated, as this problem is tainting my otherwise excellent machine. Its not overclocked, so whether the problem is software or hardware based, I can't be sure.

I would check dr watson. Start, run, type drwtsn32 then I would check the logs for 'dr.watson' and the 'event viewer'. \\For Dr.Watson the log file is located here;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

for the crash dump;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

Start, run, enter either one. Check logs. Also, more than likely a driver conflict or possibly faulty driver. What does it say in the Device Manager? Is this a custom built PC or one through a vendor like Dell Sony, HP, Alienware etc?

if it is a vendor machine I would recommend backing up and saving all your data on the machine (if neccessary) then re-install it with the CD's it came with (if any) if it still doesnt work after a *clean install* of the OS, then you can rule out that it is a software issue.

Its a self-build. Original mobo and cpu were faulty, and just dropped dead. They replaced the motherboard, admittedly with a lesser one (morons) and the post office (cretins) damaged the CPU in sending it back, so I had to buy a new one (hence the FX-62... when in Rome etc).

Latest news...

Done a bit of checking of the event logs this morning, and having a look at what microsoft has to say about it. I could find two potential reasons:

MaxDoor virus: I checked all the relevent registry areas, and couldn't find any of the malicious sub-keys. Can rule that one out then.

TCP/IP stack tries to access a buffer, but fails to initialise, corrupting the pool. This might have some potential, afterall, all of the errors occur when streaming video or using a webcam. However, in typical Microsoft style, there is a hotfix available... but you have to call them up. At £40 a pop for a phonecall, I hope Natalie Portman personally delivers the hotfix to my front door. So I guess, I'll have to crack open my wallet, and call them on Monday.

Other than that, a full reinstall is still looking like a good option. Everything was working properly on the previous hardware set up, using the same drivers, so if its still playing up then... could well be some sort of IRQ conflict with the new motherboard, or a hardware issue.

What do we think?

Just checked the Dr. Watson file. To be honest, its filled with a whole lot of stuff I simply don't understand. If anyone wants to look at it, PM me, and I'll send it to you.

Hope someone out there can help...

My motherboard and CPU recently died, but after replacing them, my computer has started repeatedly crashing when I've been streaming online video such as those on youtube.com. Accordingly, I'm fairly sure, as Microsoft Technical Centre keeps telling me, that its a driver fault, but I can't find what's causing it, despite updating/rolling back/reinstalling my ethernet, graphics/audio drivers.

System

AMD FX-62
Abit KN9 Sli Motherboard
2Gb Corsair XMS RAM
XFX 7900GT Graphics

All advice/solutions please

check in devise managment, and it will tell you if it is a hardware prob. or a driver prob.

start / right click my comp. - scroll to properties / then chekc through the list..if any of them have a prob. there will be a yellow exclamation mark next to that devise.

if it's a driver prob. , un-install the driver , then just just re-boot..if the devise has it's own drivers from a cd, then go back to devise manager / find devise / then click properties / and un-date the driver.

Thanks, but no dice. It would be a lot easier if I could find out what was causing the problems just like that.

Have tried removing, reinstalling flash. Have been streaming without problems up to now. Might have sorted it, although saying that may jinx it.

Back
Top Bottom