Network Cable is Unplugged

Thanks for the idea chris, is there a way to check if a computer will accept crossover or not without making a new cable?

Thanks for the idea chris, is there a way to check if a computer will accept crossover or not without making a new cable?

Usually cards are advertised as one or another, however this marking can be very hard to find. Sometimes it also lies, and sometimes the equipment on the other end can cause problems detecting the cable type (like, all the equipment im in charge of...)

I'd recommending going out and purchasing a cable for the whole 3$ or so that they cost. You can also make your own "crossover" boxes which will change the cable type.

Genious DJ, straight through cable worked like a charm, i'm not sure why they were using a crossever.

Thank you :)

It didnt work either sirmile, but thank you.

We decided to get a brand new computer. It has vista. I set it up and get this...it has the red X on the network symbol (GAHHHHHHH).

I can still plug another computer into the same ethernet cable and connect just fine, so maybe I just set up the network on it wrong? It keeps wanting to dial a connection.

Problem is I don't know vista too well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You and me both. I do know however that there is an option to prevent W2K and WXP from trying to use dialup.

Back
Top Bottom