port blocking

jo5h

Daemon Poster
I need some help on blocking the port that limewire uses. My roommate is constantly downloading music and videos when i am trying to play video games. I get quite annoying when my ping goes from 30 up to 400. so i was wonder if i could get some help blocking the port. i use a linksys router pm for help or just reply back. i know how to gain access to my router but blocking the port i have no idea

This is from my desktop PC. You can also do this using the command prompt in XP 'netstat -ano' and 'tasklist /svc' or you can use 3rd party software from www.foundstone.com ;) IM also running linksys wireless router.

Cheers, 0x0161

C:\Fport-2.0>fport /a
FPort v2.0 - TCP/IP Process to Port Mapper
Copyright 2000 by Foundstone, Inc.
http://www.foundstone.com

2312 LimeWire -> 1028 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1029 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1098 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1101 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1535 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 32790 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 45100 TCP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1062 UDP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1068 UDP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 1069 UDP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 4500 UDP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
2312 LimeWire -> 6347 UDP C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
C:\Fport-2.0>

My roommate is constantly downloading music and videos when i am trying to play video games. I get quite annoying when my ping goes from 30 up to 400.

IM curious, What do you mean by when you state you're ping goes from 30 to 400? Also, why not just configure your OS to block ICMP echo requests? Or better yet at the router, If your so worried about it.

why not encrypt the channel and not give him the key?

I don't think they are using PGP ;) LOL.

Cheers, 0x0161

IM curious, What do you mean by when you state you're ping goes from 30 to 400? Also, why not just configure your OS to block ICMP echo requests? Or better yet at the router, If your so worried about it.

Cheers, 0x0161

If there is no downloading going on 30 ping is perfect, the bullets have good hit detection and i can play no lag at all. once the ping starts to get in the 80's or higher i might as well stop playing the game because the registration will be terrible talking about 10 seconds of delay. makes a huge difference

and as far as blocking ICMP i have no idea what that is

what is a ICMP echo request? mot to familiar with wireless.

The Echo Request is an ICMP message which sends a packet of data to the host and expects that data to be sent in return in a Echo Reply. The host must respond to all Echo Requests with an Echo Reply containing the exact data received in the request message.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMP_Echo_Request

So by blocking ICMP echo replies your system will not respond to ping requests and it would make your system not visible on the net. At least by sending ICMP type of data/traffic to it. Cheers, 0x0161;)

PS ping has nothing to do with wireless. ;) It has been around WAY BEFORE wireless has. Also, windows boxes you can use ping or pathping which consists of both (tracert & ping) in one command.

Back
Top Bottom