Here's the plan...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
...I just set up my wireless router in my house. I wanna try something different this time, though. I used to have it set up in my apt for my laptop and PSP to use wirelessly...now I have a desktop PC plugged into it and I want to set it up so that I can access the files on it and use the printer attached to it on the laptop. How can I do this? Any help appreciated! Thanks, guys.

--Brent

ill tell you tomorow (the 20th) because im really tired today. but give me your AIM or msn and ill explain it

Under the assumption you are using XP still...

Open 'Printers and faxes' on your laptop. Right click the printer to share and click 'Sharing...' Give the printer a name, such as it's make and model, as I did. Click 'OK'.

Get on your desktop. Open 'Printers and Faxes'. On the left bar click 'Add a Printer'. Click 'Next'. Select 'Network printer', then 'Next'. Select 'Connect to this printer', then type in "\\(laptop computer name)\(printer name)"
You will have to fill in what is in the parenthesis with whatever the name of your laptop and printer are.

If you don't know...to find computer system name:
Right click 'My Computer'. Click 'Properties'. Select the 'Computer Name' tab. Look under 'Full computer name:'

Hope this made sense. Sorry if It didn't, it's 12:40 am now...

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot.

How can I share the files and stuff that are on the desktop though?

Sweet, man. Glanced over it and it looks like that'll hit the nail right on the head. Thanks, guys!

Alright guys. I can't get it to work...:( I don't even know if I'm going about this right. I thought I knew how to do it but I'm quickly finding out that I don't. Here's where I'm at.

Both computers can access the web. (If it matters.)

The desktop is plugged into the wireless router and the laptop is connected wirelessly.

I ran the network set up wizard on both computers.

I can see the desktop in the laptop's "View Workgroup Computers" screen but it says "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

Nothing shows up in this window on the desktop.

I'm lost. I read some of that networking page someone posted and it didn't seem to cover what I need. That seems to cover the settings once you have the network set up...things like security settings and stuff. That's irrelevent to me right now cuz I can't even get the computers to talk. Further evidence of this is, when I tried as Jesusfrk described, I got "windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server." Even though everything's running off the same router, i don't think anything's really connected...

Again, any help GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

--Brent

I just set up my wireless router in my house. I wanna try something different this time, though. I used to have it set up in my apt for my laptop and PSP to use wirelessly...now I have a desktop PC plugged into it and I want to set it up so that I can access the files on it and use the printer attached to it on the laptop. How can I do this? Any help appreciated! Thanks, guys.

I will see what I can do. At the moment 9:08pm I have been drinking tequila and popping xanaxs for my panic attacks.

IM a little tipsy not to bad though Now, lets get started.

The desktop PC is the system you want to share files and folders, map network drives and share your printer, with the rest of the systems on your network? Is this correct? If so, install everything on the server which is the (desktop PC) and share it out with the rest of the systems on your network.

To do this you need to know the path to what you're sharing if you don't you will get generic message. Also, make sure both your desktop and notebook are running the same protocols and configured the same. Meaning, do they have the same workgroup name? Is 'client for microsoft networks' checked for both systems? If not, how they are suppose to communicate?

I think one of your systems is taking english while the other is talking french. Meaning their not configured properly to do this

No disrepect to you or anything but what your doing is MINOR and I am very surprised not one of the other members here you could walk you through the process

I can see the desktop in the laptop's "View Workgroup Computers" screen but it says "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
You must set the laptop and desktop to both share files. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click on the adapter (whether wireless for notebook, or wired for desktop) and click properties>Select the box for "File and Printer Sharing">Click ok.

I think that's how you do it. I haven't had to setup my network in awhile, and I do it better when I'm just doing it rather than explaining it.

Back
Top Bottom