Network Cable is Unplugged

Yportne

Solid State Member
[RESOLVED]Network Cable is Unplugged

The computer says "Network Cable is Unplugged"...but its lieing! It is surely plugged in. I don't appreciate that error when its not true.

I plugged the network cable into my laptop and was able to connect to the internet fine so i know theres no problem with the cords or the router etc.

So i bought a new NIC for the desktop thinking the old one was crap. But the new NIC doesnt work either. RAARRRR

So i've decided its a software issue. The drivers are fine, what else could it be?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

-Yportne

Nope but i plugged my laptop into it and was able to connect to the internet ok, so its not the cable. And no there is no wireless there so my laptop didnt connect through that, it was through the cable.

The computer says "Network Cable is Unplugged"...but its lieing! It is surely plugged in. I don't appreciate that error when its not true.

I plugged the network cable into my laptop and was able to connect to the internet fine so i know theres no problem with the cords or the router etc.

So i bought a new NIC for the desktop thinking the old one was crap. But the new NIC doesnt work either. RAARRRR

So i've decided its a software issue. The drivers are fine, what else could it be?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

-Yportne

I would recommend checking the *device manager* to see if you have an red X over your network cards etc...

Also, I think you have 2 NIC cards in your computer. One is using the CAT5 cable the other one is displaying the generic message a network cable is unplugged.

Next time, your system states "a network cable is unplugged" when you know its connected or working open command prompt and issue ipconfig /all see if the IP address starts with 0.0.0.0 or 169.254

or an actual IP address.

I would recommend uninstalling Both NIC cards and reinstalling the one you just bought. Physically, Install it in your PC. Next, bootup your computer when its at the desktop pop in the cd that came with your new NIC card. Install the drivers, then reboot your system. Open prompt checking IP config info just my two cents.

Thanks,0x0161

Device manager shows all is well.

There are two NIC's one is integrated. Both of them show the red X. There was only one red x, nows theres two because i put a new PCI NIC in it.

iponfig /all shows no IP address at all.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Main
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PCI NIC Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : good :)

I'll try uninstalling them both, then reinstalling the PCI one.

Device manager shows all is well.

There are two NIC's one is integrated. Both of them show the red X. There was only one red x, nows theres two because i put a new PCI NIC in it.

iponfig /all shows no IP address at all.

The 'Red X' - Indication that the device has been disabled, removed or that Windows is unable to locate the device.

Make sure the 2 NIC cards have the drivers (software) for them.

also,

Well, I uninstalled both devices and went to reinstall the PCI NIC. But the computer keeps detecting a new device and installs the devices before I do it myself. I don't understand how it can install them without the CD of drivers.

But it thinks its a god or something. Anyway, they still don't work. Its deffinitly a software/setting issue believe me. I just don't know where the problem lies. I'd like to believe the drivers are good (device manager shows the drivers and even said the store i bought the thing from). If not them though, what else could it possibly be?

By the way, I checked the device manager, neither one of them is disabled.

Right click on the integrated nic and then chose "Disable"

Then install the software that came with the new nic

The do

cmd /k ipconfig

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

reboot

let us know what happens

It didnt work either sirmile, but thank you.

We decided to get a brand new computer. It has vista. I set it up and get this...it has the red X on the network symbol (GAHHHHHHH).

I can still plug another computer into the same ethernet cable and connect just fine, so maybe I just set up the network on it wrong? It keeps wanting to dial a connection.

Problem is I don't know vista too well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It didnt work either sirmile, but thank you.

We decided to get a brand new computer. It has vista. I set it up and get this...it has the red X on the network symbol (GAHHHHHHH).

I can still plug another computer into the same ethernet cable and connect just fine, so maybe I just set up the network on it wrong? It keeps wanting to dial a connection.

Problem is I don't know vista too well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your wire is a T568A to T568B (Also called a crossover cable). Some computers will connect no matter what kind of cable you use, some only connect when you use a non crossover cable.

Back
Top Bottom