HELP!! Smiley faces after BIOS Startup!! Then Windows problems!

rocket1406

In Runtime
I am at college but my brother's home PC has problems. It starts up normal through my BIOS ... Abit/Athlon logos.

Then it goes to the screen asking if I want to start Windows in Safe Mode or Normal with a Timer.

In every single blank space there is a Smiley Face. Some are blue some are white, mostly in alternations of 4. And some of the letters changed from white to blue.

And then after the 15 seconds pass by, it goes to the Windows XP start screen (black with blue bar)... it does that but there are random green lines across the screen. And then my monitor says Check source and Connection after a couple of seconds. After about 7 minutes, I can hear the Windows starting sounds but can't see it.

I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+, 200 GB Maxtor HD, 7800 GTX, 1 GB Ram

Thanks very much. I want to know if there is a way to fix it (without losing my HD) and if it sounds like a worm/virus vs. a hardware failure.

It almost sounds like your video card has some problems.

It could be as simple as it overheating, or more serious as bad video memory or just a failed GPU. Things to check off hand would be to make sure the card's fan is clean of dust and spinning freely.

You can contact the video card manufacturer and tell them of your problem. They will more than likely issue you an RMA to replace the card.

Sounds like a virus to me, unless you installed these smiley faces your refering to.

I think it's video card related. I had a card go bad and it did similar things. I didn't get smiley faces, but I did get odd colored blocks and lines.

Yeah, I just cleared the hard drive, and it still has some smileys even in the Windows Install software. Has to be the video card memory.

I would just use a good registry cleaner, But i would get a full version one, not a trial one, That should clear up alot of problems...especially if you just done a fresh install or restore.

He just did a full format and reinstall of the OS. I don't think cleaning the registry will help at this point. IMO, it is most definitely a hard ware problem.

Atomic Rooster said:
He just did a full format and reinstall of the OS. I don't think cleaning the registry will help at this point. IMO, it is most definitely a hard ware problem.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom