blinking lights

minotauro4life

Solid State Member
Hey guys, i got comcast high speed about a month ago. The first 3 weeks it worked great. Now when i want to get on teh net, i usually cant becasue the lights on the modem are blinking. Can someone tell me how to resolve this. Thanks....

pull the plug on the modem, then plug it back in after 20 seconds and wait 10 seconds. your internet should work....

Yeah thats what i do, but smetimes it doesnt work for hours at a time. Before i go to bed is it a good idea to turn the modem off.

I actually tried to unplug it for 20 seconds, and it worked fine for about five minutes. So did you say to turn it off at night or not

dont turn it off at night.

or what u could try is just unplug it for ONE NIGHT ONLY and then see how it works the next day :)

It sounds like you have a defective modem, or you're signal-to-noise ratio is too high on your line. Are you using a splitter on the cable line coming to the modem? For example, is that same line feeding a digital cable box as well? If so, the signal may not be strong enough- the modem really needs it's own line. If that's not the case, you need to call Comcast, and have them check the signals on your line- this is something the rep can do when you call. If they can't tell you anything, don't let them blame it on spyware- tell them to send someone out (although it could be spyware if you have no protection).

If it's your modem blinking, it's not spyware. If over-the-phone troubleshooting doesn't work, tell them to send someone over. It's either a defective modem, bad wiring, or just something on their end. The splitter could be the problem, but a properly working splitter won't affect you badly enough for you not to be able to connect. It might slow down the internet, but it won't block connection.

I just looked at the splitter, and one side of it is connected to the modem, and the other side is connected to the T.V. So im guessing the problem is the T.V should be unplugged when using the internet.

Freak4Dell said:
If it's your modem blinking, it's not spyware. If over-the-phone troubleshooting doesn't work, tell them to send someone over. It's either a defective modem, bad wiring, or just something on their end. The splitter could be the problem, but a properly working splitter won't affect you badly enough for you not to be able to connect. It might slow down the internet, but it won't block connection.

Spyware always has the possibility of keeping you from getting on the Internet. What if the spyware is affecting DNS, and the person doesn't know to try and ping the IP of a Website, instead of the name? So it's possible (although not with this issue). Troubleshooting over the phone usually doesn't work with these types of issues- simply because if the rep does fix the problem, it's outside of what Comcast supports. I don't think the splitter is the problem, its the SNR (signal to noise ratio) that is causing the problem. If the signal is not strong enough, you're tv can work fine, and the modem will seem like it's connected, but won't connect. They will be able to see the signal levels when this user calls in. If you disconnect the TV from the splitter, and the Internet works, you probably will need an amplifier installed on the line- at your cost unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom