Something annoying happened today

muz

Golden Master
I went to boot my AMD comp this morning and it went past the loading screen then bsod , powered down then back up agian , still bsod so i thought omg its dead , then i booted into last known config , still bsod . Theni wento to safe mode looked around...nothing .So i dug my xp disk out and did a repair , still a bsod so then i got angry , then i calmed down and reset the bios on my MB , and still a bsod . Then i unplugged all the non vital components from my comp , 2nd hd optical drives tv card , sound card and usb 2.0 card , still a bsod , so i reconnected all of theese grabbed the external hd which was pluged into my pc and went down stairs to do something , came back up and tried another poeer on and whdya know booted first time , so i shut down reconneceted external HD and bsod , So after all of that it was just the fact that my external hd was connected .

PS: if anyone has a soloution to the bsod with external hd connected please tell me ,but it is too quick for me to get stop code

it may be because irecently reinstalled xo and have to do sp2 update , i am not to fussed cos it is only a word processing and listening to music computer that is in my room

wood_workur said:
doesn't the pause break key stop the screen so you can write down the code?
hmm yeah , but i am never quick enough , the bsod just comes on then flicks off ever so quickly , i might try that one , thanks

may be because i have a crap monitor , it is a dell ultrascan about 15"(CRT)from about 10yrs ago , still going strong though

Can you boot into safe mode? If you can then boot in there and goto system properties > advanced > startup and recovery > then uncheck automatically restart. If that doesnt help with the BSOD, then your just gonna have to try until you get the timing right with the pause key.

Raffaz said:
Can you boot into safe mode? If you can then boot in there and goto system properties > advanced > startup and recovery > then uncheck automatically restart. If that doesnt help with the BSOD, then your just gonna have to try until you get the timing right with the pause key.

its ok i can boot normally if i just unplug the external hd , it was only plugged in cos it was late last night when i turned my comp off and i forgot to put it away

it is just annoying how i went though all of that junk for the sake of unplugging a hard drive

Ah right mate, i need to read slower lol. Have you done the obvious like checking the boot order in the BIOS?

Raffaz said:
Ah right mate, i need to read slower lol. Have you done the obvious like checking the boot order in the BIOS?
yeah , i have done all of the typical IT guy checks , probably cos i dont have sp2like i said above deep in that big paragraph or poor spelling/grammer

muz379 said:
yeah , i have done all of the typical IT guy checks , probably cos i dont have sp2like i said above deep in that big paragraph or poor spelling/grammer
Ha ha ya probably right, i need to read even slower. Probably be a good idea to get all the updates on there aswell, and if that doesnt sort it then maybe a BIOS update aswell.

Raffaz said:
Ha ha ya probably right, i need to read even slower. Probably be a good idea to get all the updates on there aswell, and if that doesnt sort it then maybe a BIOS update aswell.
yeah i am downloading sp2 and the bios flashing utilities and the latest bios i can find , the mobo is from 2002 so the newest one is december 2002

Back
Top Bottom