D-link router

MondayHopscotch

Solid State Member
I have just bought a D-link EBR-2310 router in hopes of setting up a LAN in my house. I already had a hub set up, but i am now upgrading to a router. I followed all the steps that were on the install disc but when it gets to the "Configure Router" step it says "waiting for the network to start" then just goes to an error page that says "no router detected". That page has a 3 things to check for(all 3 are just making sure you connected the cables) and everything is connected like it wanted me to. My guess is that the LAN that was set up before i tried doing this is interfering with the set-up. Help would be greatly appreciated.

MondayHopscotch said:
I have just bought a D-link EBR-2310 router in hopes of setting up a LAN in my house. I already had a hub set up, but i am now upgrading to a router. I followed all the steps that were on the install disc but when it gets to the "Configure Router" step it says "waiting for the network to start" then just goes to an error page that says "no router detected". That page has a 3 things to check for(all 3 are just making sure you connected the cables) and everything is connected like it wanted me to. My guess is that the LAN that was set up before i tried doing this is interfering with the set-up. Help would be greatly appreciated.

When you were using the hub, were you using static IP addresses?

If you dont know post the output of "ipconfig /all" (ran from cmd prompt) into this thread please.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\William>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.co.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-33-1B-F5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.co.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-96-EB-40-7E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.229.128.126
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.229.128.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.66.13
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 16, 2007 10:56:02 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 16, 2007 11:56:02 AM

Let me explain how i had the hub set up before i tried to get the router working.

The modem had a hooked directly to one of the computers via i USB cable that came with it. From that computer, an ethernet cable went to the hub and from the hub to the other 2 computers in my house. It was set up like this because you cant connect the modem directly to a hub(you need a router).

And at the moment i have the modem connected to my computer and not my router because i cannot get the router to work, hence why i started this thread. So at the moment i have the modem directly connected to this computer so that i can find help on the internet.

Edit: if you need to know how anything else is set up, please ask.

MondayHopscotch said:
Let me explain how i had the hub set up before i tried to get the router working.

The modem had a hooked directly to one of the computers via i USB cable that came with it. From that computer, an ethernet cable went to the hub and from the hub to the other 2 computers in my house. It was set up like this because you cant connect the modem directly to a hub(you need a router).

And at the moment i have the modem connected to my computer and not my router because i cannot get the router to work, hence why i started this thread. So at the moment i have the modem directly connected to this computer so that i can find help on the internet.

Edit: if you need to know how anything else is set up, please ask.

Okay but you will still need to set it to use DHCP IP's like i told you in the step above before the D-Link utility will work.

the "obtain ip automatically" was and is already checked.

and i know that my modem is connected to my computer because the internet doesnt work if i hook it into my router, and i need to use the internet to figure out how to get my router working.

and i understand that i might be causing frustration and i apologize in advance

MondayHopscotch said:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-33-1B-F5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

It's enabled on your other connection but not this connection. When it says Dhcp Enabled: NO this means you manually inputted the settings.

Back
Top Bottom