Boot Vista Out?

Peavey

Solid State Member
Bought a laptop last week which of course has Vista Home Basic on it. I'm am so mad that it is nothing but a pain in the butt to network to my PC which is running XP. I'm to the point i wanna get a new copy of XP and do a clean install onto the laptop. I keep seeing different answers on whether it can be done or not. Any ideas?

yea the 512 is the reason they put basic on lol

install xp and upgrade to 1 gig of ram

Theres not much info on the pentium dual core (even on wikipedia) but i know that its based on the core 2 duo architecture.

lol..Basic is a good term for it too. Not a whole lot of options with this OS.
I dont really know the difference between the dual core or the core 2 duo. Now they have a quad core?? I cant keep up lol.

although i agree with the other poster's put xp on it. it seems like quiet a waste consider i bet about 100 bucks of your laptop was for vista but ..... you can network vista with xp although its unusually complicated i cnt remember my exact steps but on network and sharing centre you need to make sure file sharing is on then make sure your firewall is set to enable file sharing and of course make sure your in the same workgroup

It is very recommended for you to buy a copy of XP. IMO, if I'd get a laptop, even with good specs, I'd take Vista out. I'd install XP.

Its straightforward to connect the 2 together, ive got a home network with XP, vista and server 2003 running with no problems, can you post some details of the exact problems your having, also are you using XP home or pro?

Using XP Home. The biggest problem i'm having is getting the Xp to see the vista computer. I can find it by doing a search for computers using the search under the start menu. The vista shows the xp in the network most of the time. Sometimes it disappears for whatever reason. But the Xp does not see the vista in the network at all. I've played with some of the settings that i have read about, but still dont have any luck. Maybe i missed something in all the frustration. Let me know what you did to get it to work.

Have you done the obvious stuff like pinging both computers, checking workgroups are the same, setting up the same username and password on both machines, enabling file sharing etc, you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom