Big network problem

xxc00lmanxx

In Runtime
Hi guys. Just recently my ethernet port stopped working. I dont know if its a software issues or if it just died. This computer is less than a year old. I installed a new 400w power supply the day before this problem and a new pci - e graphics card. But everything seemed fine. The next day i was in command prompt releasing and renewing my ip with ipconfig. In the middle of it my bro hit the power button and my comp went into hibernate mode. When i got it back on I got some message that told me some file went bad but was replaced successfully. But from then on when i plugged anything into my ethernet port the led light never turned on and i could not get onto the internet(even though 2 other comps are on the router and are working online). I tried re-installing the drivers but now i get a code 10 device will not start thing and i also get a code 10 device will not start when i tried using a linksys ethernet adapter ( ethernet to usb).

Edit: Also when my bro hit the power button and it went into hibernate when it was starting up I might have touched my graphics card to check how hot it was (very light touch, iv done it before with it and nothing happen) and the graphics got really messed, there were white line - dotish glitchy type things all over my screen.But i restarted when it was all fine . And that when I got that message saying a file was lost but replaced successfully.

Thx in advanced for any help

yea the device manager says "This device cannot start (Code 10) "

Im gonna try and borrow or find a new network card for cheap because my best guess is either there is a setting messed up on mine or it just shot circuited.

Taken from the MS site for code 10

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

i would try all the obvious things, like taking the card out and leaving it out of the pc for a big with the power all off (if it can be removed, maybe it cant, but leaving all power off on your pc for a bit may work). i dont see how a hibernation could have caused it to just stop working. if he hit the power and switched it off then maybe it caused a power surge or something... hmmm. so nothing works in the ethernet port?

Usually when a device won't start, it's a driver or file corruption issue. Try going to start>run type sfc /scannow and put your original disk it (Windows). This will place all the system files back to how they should be. Then you have a fresh start. I think the reason why the light doesn't come on is because the device is disabled.

Back
Top Bottom