Router with WPA Security

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I think it was WPA-PSK (TKIP) security as detected by my PSP, but my Aunt doesn't know her WPA key (someone else set it up a long time ago) and I want to connect my PSP when I'm down there, so we need to find out the WPA key. If I type in the router's IP address and the password on the router and whatever, will it tell me the WPA key in there (unstarred) because when I go into the laptops' wireless connection properties, its starred (*****) out.

Le GoogelGuRu said:
I think it was WPA-PSK (TKIP) security as detected by my PSP, but my Aunt doesn't know her WPA key (someone else set it up a long time ago) and I want to connect my PSP when I'm down there, so we need to find out the WPA key. If I type in the router's IP address and the password on the router and whatever, will it tell me the WPA key in there (unstarred) because when I go into the laptops' wireless connection properties, its starred (*****) out.

Why do you continually insist on posting stuff in the wrong place?

Some routers will tell you in the wireless settings, others are blocked out. If its blocked out, then just type a new key in. I didnt even know that the PSP supported WPA, i thought it was just WEP. Must have changed with the newer firmware (i havent been keeping upto date lately)

Raffaz said:
Some routers will tell you in the wireless settings, others are blocked out. If its blocked out, then just type a new key in. I didnt even know that the PSP supported WPA, i thought it was just WEP. Must have changed with the newer firmware (i havent been keeping upto date lately)

it has supported wpa for a while. a lot of homebrew doesnt work with it thats why ive always stuck with wep

dude_se said:
it has supported wpa for a while. a lot of homebrew doesnt work with it thats why ive always stuck with wep
Cheers for clearing that up

np ... isnt the wpa key underneath the router? on my bt router the wep key is and on homehubs the key is on the back. i know wpa is more of a custom type key but maybe its still the default like "password" or something. worth checking

It would depend. If its a router that is part of an internet package like yours from BT, they are normally written to the firmware (saves users ringing up and saying they cant remember their key etc). If its a bought router like mine then you have the option of configuring it yourself.

Yeah, thats fair enough, but if someone rings a support centre, its easier for the tech to tell you to reset the router, and then use the code written on the bottom, than it is for them to talk you through the process of changing it manually. :)

If there is a reset button, just do that and set up the router again, best way to get round WPA if you have access to the router ;)

Back
Top Bottom