IEXPLORE.exe suspect virus

utah12

Beta member
Newbie here! But I have discovered that my pc is most likely infected with iexplore.exe. anyone out there that can help?
I can't run any adaware, registry cleaner, virus scan, etc.
when I open the task manager there are multiple (8+) iexplore.exe running. When I close one it multiplies causing the cpu useage to spike up and down. Nothing else can run.

My McAfee had detected a registry change, which I blocked.
Affected Items: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-842925246-854245398-1005\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internetsettings\zonemap\Ranges\me\:Range
This didn't help.
Running very slowly and if left to sit will reboot about every thirty minutes and then it runs a disk scan.

utah12 said:
Newbie here! But I have discovered that my pc is most likely infected with iexplore.exe. anyone out there that can help?
I can't run any adaware, registry cleaner, virus scan, etc.
when I open the task manager there are multiple (8+) iexplore.exe running. When I close one it multiplies causing the cpu useage to spike up and down. Nothing else can run.

My McAfee had detected a registry change, which I blocked.
Affected Items: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-842925246-854245398-1005\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internetsettings\zonemap\Ranges\me\:Range
This didn't help.
Running very slowly and if left to sit will reboot about every thirty minutes and then it runs a disk scan.

You mentioned that you were infected with "iexplore.exe"; which could be a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data.

Go to this site and run the free scan: http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/plib/seplib/?id=des

If it is the Trojan, it should be able to pick it up and offer you a way to clean it. Try to post the Hijack This log; there may be some useful information that could give us a better idea of how to proceed.

Good Luck!

Dude - the process is not registered as a trojan... Its actually internet explorer. Now a trojan could of named its self as iexplore.exe, but iexplore.exe is normally just instened explorer...

WhiteHat said:
You mentioned that you were infected with "iexplore.exe"; which could be a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data.

Go to this site and run the free scan: http://www.liutilities.com/products.../seplib/?id=des

If it is the Trojan, it should be able to pick it up and offer you a way to clean it. Try to post the Hijack This log; there may be some useful information that could give us a better idea of how to proceed.

Good Luck!

samurai said:
Dude - the process is not registered as a trojan... Its actually internet explorer. Now a trojan could of named its self as iexplore.exe, but iexplore.exe is normally just instened explorer...

Yes, iexplore.exe is the main executable for Microsoft Internet Explorer; however, there is also a Worm with the same name (W32/Rbot-EZ) and the link I posted will perform a free scan to see if the computer has that particular worm. Normally, iexplore.exe is found in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer directory; but this beast copies itself to the %system% folder and contains a backdoor Trojan function that allows unauthorized remote access to the infected computer via IRC channels.

Now that you know, it would not hurt to run the scan to see if you actually have the worm/trojan.

Yeah, thats it. its just that inyour previous post, you seemed to by saying that it was a virus FULL STOP :p

WhiteHat said:
Yes, iexplore.exe is the main executable for Microsoft Internet Explorer; however, there is also a Worm with the same name (W32/Rbot-EZ) and the link I posted will perform a free scan to see if the computer has that particular worm. Normally, iexplore.exe is found in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer directory; but this beast copies itself to the %system% folder and contains a backdoor Trojan function that allows unauthorized remote access to the infected computer via IRC channels.

Now that you know, it would not hurt to run the scan to see if you actually have the worm/trojan.

EDIT: Oops, my bad. IEXPLORE.exe is main IE exe, but IEXPLORER.exe is adware executable. So easy to confuse those two.

Marshillboy said:
EDIT: Oops, my bad. IEXPLORE.exe is main IE exe, but IEXPLORER.exe is adware executable. So easy to confuse those two.
Eh? Hows it your bad? You havent even posted here lol :)

Back
Top Bottom