Windows Media Center

error75

Baseband Member
I'm looking at buying a new dell xps laptop, but I'm not sure of the advantages of WMC over Windows XP Home/Pro.
Is WMC just one of the versions of XP with a couple adjustments or a whole new animal?
Is there an advantage to Media Center?

Media Center was designed for media- DVDs, CDs, Music, Movies, there's a thread going over the differences, but not sure where I saw it. I will post it here, if I find it again. If you're going to be watching movies, listening to music, and more with media, go with Media Center.

I have Media Center Edition. It's XP Professional with a few little differences:
- The major difference from XP Pro is that you can't join domains, but there's a registry tweak to change that.

- Support for Media Center Extenders. Basically, you can set up a Media Center Extender (a box you can buy or an Xbox 360 will function as one) to stream stuff to your TV.

- Media Center Program:
Basically, it's a nicer GUI of Windows Media Player. It doesn't really do anything that Windows Media Player can't do except you can set it up to use a TV tuner.
800px-MCE_2005.png

And the looks are not any different besides the fact that the Taskbar's color is a little darker blue by default... But note that there is also a hack to give XP Pro/Home the Media Center functionality. I think it's kind of complicated though, I don't know what it is so I can't say.
Personally, I barely even use the Media Center functions. I still listen to music in iTunes, and I still watch movies in Windows Media Player. The only time I use it is to stream movies to my TV using my Xbox 360.

Its basically XP pro, with a nice media centre built in. And before anyone says its not pro because you cant setup a domain, you can when you first install, but not once the OS is up and running :)

freestyler105 said:
The major difference from XP Pro is that you can't join domains, but there's a registry tweak to change that.
Looks like i was to late :)

Back
Top Bottom